Advent Event - With Liam Dunbar

You stared at the television. Your thumbs moved quickly and the car on the screen jumped, raced and changed direction whenever you wanted it to.

In a way nothing had changed. But somehow everything had changed. And not for the better.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Liam turned his face towards you. He had been distracted all evening, losing way more often than usually. He had been looking at you as if you were a porcelain vase glued together that could break any minute. And maybe he was right about that.

"I don't know." You shrugged and once more your car crossed the finish before his. It was unusual. You were good at this, but Liam was better. You now knew that it was because of his werewolf reflexes, better eye sight and who knows what other hidden talents. "Should I be?" You cocked your head and placed the controller on the table in front of you. "I've just found out that my boyfriend is a werewolf. That at night he and his pack patrol the woods and that sometimes they fight bad guys, which can get them hurt or killed."

Liam kept silent and stared at his thumbs, still pressing the buttons of his controller until he had pushed his car over the finish line too. "I'm sorry." Liam placed his controller next to yours. "I never really wanted any of this."

"But you're doing it now." You sighed and leaned back in the comfortable chair. "How will I ever sleep again?"

"Nothing will happen to you, I swear. Scott is amazing and I can protect you too. We will make sure that no monster will ever get close to you." Liam spoke quickly and he moved a little closer towards you to grab your hand.

You rolled your eyes. "I'm not worried about me." You sighed. "I'm worried about you! What if one day you will not be able to beat that bad guy? What if one day you won't come home? What if something happens and you'll die?" Tears escaped your eyes and rolled down your cheeks. "I'm terrified of losing you!"

"Scott is really good at this. He's been doing it for years now and nothing has happened to him." Liam looked away.

"And to his friends? To the people around him? To those involved?"

Liam kept silent, but that silence was all you needed to get your answer.

"I have the right to be worried, Liam." You reached for the controller again and started a new game.

Liam grabbed his controller too and for a moment the two of you just stared at the screen and raced.

"Do you want me to stop doing this?" Liam's car crossed the finish first and he swallowed when he locked his glance with yours. "Do you want me to stay home with you?"

You licked your lips and eventually you shook your head. "No..." You smiled a weak smile. "Because I know what happens if you and Scott and the rest of the pack don't do this." You paused. "People like me die."

Liam wrapped his arms around you and pressed a soft kiss to your cheek. "I won't die and I won't let you die. I swear."

You knew he couldn't swear something like that. But it was nice that he tried.