Chapter Thirty - Crown

Start from the beginning

Vomit rose in Kat's throat. Her heart hammered with rage. 

And then pain hit her squarely in the chest. She threw her head back and screamed.

Konan looked at her, gleefully.

"It's happening!" he gripped Tate's shoulder in excitement.

Kat waited for the world to disappear. She waited for the pain to stop, for her heart to shatter, pulling her soul into the black hole it left behind.

But the world stayed strong, the pain intensified. She looked wildly at Vilkas. He stared at her in shock, struggling desperately to release himself.

It was as though the Moon brightened, as she felt him. The pain subsided, replaced with a throbbing ache. She looked over at him. He had not moved an inch but she knew he was alive. 

She looked up at her brother and laughed hysterically.

She felt a surge of power in her chest, and in her peripheral vision, Cal stirred. 

Konan growled and stomped over to Cal, pulling him up by his hair. Cal's eyes flickered open, finding Kat immediately. The white almost blinded her, the gold rings shining brighter than she'd ever seen. Her heart felt so heavy with love, she struggled to breathe. Tears streamed down her cheeks freely as immense relief squeezed around her chest.

Konan yanked the knife out of Cal's chest and buried it in his stomach, over and over and over again. Every wound ripped Kat in half. Every wound bringing her joy. She could feel it, and while she could feel it, he was on this Earth.

Konan finished his onslaught by slicing Cal's throat. He hacked at his neck, deeper and deeper. Kat was sure he would sever his spine. A huge CLANG sounded as the blade came into contact with Cal's mark and Kat's own burned and twisted in her throat. Konan pulled the knife away and it melted in his hand, molten silver pooling in the grass.

Konan dropped Cal's unconscious body on the ground. His blood seeped into the grass. Kat closed her eyes to the horror.

He's fine. He'll be fine.

She breathed deeply, calming herself, and reopened her eyes. She could see Cal's neck repairing itself already. She grinned at her brother.

Konan turned on Tate, wrapping a hand around his throat. Tate gasped for breath.

"You let them survive. You gave in to your feelings for her. Traitor." Konan growled.

"No. Never." Tate choked.

Konan released him. Tate fell backwards, rubbing his throat. A deep black impression of Konan's hand faded away slowly.

"What is that?" Kat asked, surprised.

"Something that doesn't concern you!" Konan spat at her, "Tell me why he lives."

Kat smiled at her brother as he raged. She basked in his fury.

"We realised we were being poisoned. We watched what we ate and drank." she gave him a sweet smile.

"WELL AREN'T YOU FUCKING CLEVER!" Konan cracked her across the face with the back of his hand. Kat felt her lip split, metallic blood stinging her tongue.

She smiled bloodily at him. 

Konan paced back and forth, muttering and hitting the sides of his head.

"No, I can't - WHAT? - I guess. If it's the only way - yes - if you're sure." he spoke quickly, making no sense to Kat.

"Tate, chain her mate. He's coming back with us." Konan barked at Tate.