10

"OCTAVIA!"

She turned, noticing Chole a few yards away, and the district one male behind her.

Like lightning, she whipped around, grabbed the dagger, and impaled him in the esophagus. Octavia heard him let out a blood curdling scream.

She just killed someone.

"Chole!"

That person is dead because of you.

In a flash, there was Hahna, gripping onto Chole as if her life depended on it. Octavia stood, her mind in a sort of disaray as she tried to comprehend what she just did.

"Tave?" The red head from District Two spoke, watching the younger girls eyes water.

Octavis refused to cry- no, she wouldn't.  She'd killed someone- crying wouldn't fix that.

Without even a glance or response back, Octavia dove back into the water. A bold move on her part, and swam across the open sea towards one of the four other island.

The way the arena was set up, was islands. All within 150 yards of each other. Realizing multiple people would have swam to the closest, she started stroking to the 2nd closest. Soon, Chole and Hahna joined her.

It was the worst minutes of he life, constantly being aware of the fish that swam below her, and the tributes that scouted the island only fifty yards away.

She stroked her arms at a consistent pace, Hahna having found her way beside. She was carrying half of Choles weight, who wasn't familiar with swimming.

"I'm sorry you had to do that," spoke Chole, breaking the silence.

Octavia just continued to swim, not knowing how to answer the boy.

~

It was nearly dark when they had found a resting place. They swam for only half an hour, but the walking killed them, all except for Hahna. Hahna trudged along, begrudgingly mumbling about having to lead with the sword. She swiped at the lower vines, and lectured them on finding fresh water.

Water.

During the time at the cornucopia, they had gotten three quarts of it. One for each of them to ration as they please. Octavia still hadn't taken a large gulp of hers, as the lovebirds already had.

The place they found was meerly satisfactory- it was under a large palm tree and within some bushes.

Octavia knew they should've climbed into the trees, but when she brought it up Hahna just argued that they would be safe, that they were smarter in going to an island further from the cornucopia.

Chole obviously agreed, as he could care less about anything other than Hahnas needs.

She had first watch, and she was already over it. Over the fact that suddenly everything was on her, the hardly intelligible thirteen year old. She believed Hahna should've stepped up more, just as she'd promised the night after thr interviews.

"I promise to do as much as I can, Octavia. My cousin, we were as close as could be, was a year younger than me. She died, and I don't want the same to happen to you," Hahna pleaded with Octavia, as she stood with a blank face.

Octavia didn't know what to say to that.

She didn't have the heart to ignore that.

But Octavia didn't think of what would happen if it was just her and Hahna left, because all that mattered in that moment was the epic promise Hahna made about protecting her- against everyone but herself.

-

SORRY THIS IS SHORT LOVES.