02

WHEN IT CAME TIME FOR OCTAVIA WHETHER TO MEET HER STYLIST, she didn't realize how bad her makeover could be.

Funnily enough, she had figured she'd get her hair styled, face painted with the unnatural makeup, and a new wardrobe. She was completely wrong.

It seemed harmless at first, the yellow substance they were putting along her eyebrows, legs, and other places she was sure the yellow stuff shouldn't be.

"Ah, fu-" Octavia let out a hiss of pain, and rolled her eyes when the stylist scolded her as being too young to curse.

Octavia hadn't grown up in a gentle environment, district fives people were as ruthless as anyone else, and the Capitol just didn't realzie this.

Her nails, long and chipped, were scraped to perfection, perfectly and dangerously pointed. They were painted a gold color. Octavia's hair, long and damaged, had been proprrly washed and styled in small waves. Her makeup consisted of a gold base with red shadowing, and a sharp wing on the edges. Octavia's eyebrows were waxed pointedly, and her lips were painted red.

The dress, the dress nearly had Octavia bowing down to her stylist. It was red, and flowed down to her feet loosely. The top was etched with a gold embroidery, fitting her chest snuggely.

Handing her a pair of low, red heels her stylist spoke.

"This look doesn't necessarily show specifically what your district is all about, but district five is electricity, which is power. And you definitely look powerful," she said, and Octavia gave an appreciative smile while eyeing herself in the mirror.

"Now for the final touches," she hummed under her breath, taking a small pallet and putting a few gold sparkles along her cheekbone. She then proceeded to add some into her hair. And then, she put the necklace Adelaide had gifted her sround her neck, tucked into the neckline of her dress.

Now that gave it the final touch it needed.

"Remember what your mentor said, be sweet, quiet, innocent. You'll gain sponsors that way, people will pity you." Veah gave her a final nod, leading Octavia to her chariot.

Octavia, though, didn't want to be pitied. But- if it meant a higher chance of going back to her sister, she would take her chances.

"Sweet, innocent, quiet, likeable.. I can do that," Octavia repeated with a huff of a breath.

----

When the chariot Octavia Whether stood on finally began to move, she couldn't help but widen her eyes in surprise at the crowds. The way they cheered- maybe not so much for her, but it still gave her a sense of longing, to be one of the people in those stands. Safe, healthy, nurtured.

Finally pulling up to the circle, Octavia gazed up towards the president whos eyes wandered over the entirety of the tributes, his eyes catching, or what she thought was catching hers.

He raised a glass, speaking.

Octavia gave out a breath, flicking a piece of short chocolate hair over her shoulder.

If this were to be her reality for the next few days, she may as well enjoy it.

----

When Octavia took a step into her bedroom, she was beyond shocked at the elegance, yet edgy beauty that decorated the place.

A huge bed, three times the size of her old one that she alone could hardly fit on, stood tall in the center. It was decorated with a soft blue blanket that reminded her of the sky at night. It was easily one of her new favorite colors, except for the fiery red she still wore.

The television played softly in the back round as she slipped off her dress, letting it fall to the floor with a small thump.

Her makeup came next. After digging around for nearly fifteen minutes for something to wash it off with, she simply decided to shower.

Five different dispensers littered the huge shower stall, and after a small mishap with the water temperature and a loud string of curses later, Octavia managed to comfortably use the soaps.

"Stupid capital luxuries," she muttered, lathering body wash all over her body. The citrus-y smell surrounded her, lulling her into a relaxed haze.

Wrapping a robe around herself, Octavia hung up her red dress and picked out a soft blue nightgown. Slipping it on, she settled herself down into the comfy mattress.

Gazing through the picture window situated across from her bed, Octavia watched the capitol people float around the streets. Smiling, dancing, cheering. It was what Octavia one day pictured for herself.

Happiness.

Too bad she may never see that day.

----

sorry for the short chapter!

-ave
xx