Chapter 12: Health

Start from the beginning

"It's just morning sickness," I said. "It'll go away later."

"Do you need me to get anything for you?" Peridot asked. "If you're going to insist on staying?"

"...can we go somewhere?" I responded.

"Skip school?" Peridot asked.

"I can't be here," I said. "Someone's gonna find me and get me in trouble. I have to get out of here, and I can't go alone. I'm too weak."

"What if someone does find us?" Peridot asked. "We're just going to get in even more trouble!"

"At this point, anything we do is trouble," I said. "We can't do anything without getting in the slightest bit of trouble. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to follow the rules."

"I see what you mean," Peridot replied. "Man...I really wish they would unground us already. You have a point. Anything we do is trouble at this point. I can't even walk you out of school. I can barely even walk out of school at all without getting a glare from your dad."

"So can we go?" I asked.

Peridot nodded. "We practically have nothing else to lose," she said.

We left the bathroom when there was no more noise. Peridot picked me up and ran me outside. The fresh air felt so good on my face. I loved it. Peridot walked into the forest next to the school and placed me down on the grass. I held her hand immediately. I wouldn't be able to walk alone. I knew that for a fact. I was too tired to balance properly.

"Do you need anything?" Peridot asked.

"I need to be ungrounded," I answered. "I can't live like this anymore. I've never felt so tired in my life."

"Do you want to sleep?" Peridot asked.

"More than anything," I answered.

Peridot sat down by a tree and gestured for me to sit with her. I sat on her lap and laid my head on her chest. She wrapped her arms around me and kissed my head. Within minutes, I was asleep.

I woke up from the sun shining in my face. I sat up and covered my eyes. When I uncovered them, I saw that Peridot was still holding me. She never left me. I yawned and stretched out. Peridot immediately noticed and cracked a smile.

"Hey, honey," she said. "How are you feeling?"

"Not very good," I responded. "I feel sick."

"You need to go home," Peridot said.

"No!" I cried. "I don't want to go home! Don't want to leave you again!"

"Lapis, please," Peridot said. "I need you to go. I love you so much, and I feel your pain, but I need you to go. I can't bear seeing you in pain like this. You need proper care. I can't give you that right now. I'm at school. You need to go home and get plenty of rest and care."

"I don't wanna go!" I shouted.

I didn't realize how tired I was. I felt so cranky. Peridot didn't show any signs of being angry at all. She just stayed patient with me. Did I really deserve her? I didn't even realize that there were tears falling down my face until Peridot wiped one away with her thumb.

"Shh," she whispered. "You're alright. You don't feel good, I know..."

I laid my head on her chest again. Maybe she was right. Maybe I shouldn't have come to school. It was too late now. I couldn't go. I felt so sick. I felt too sick. She was right. I needed care. I fell asleep while deep in thought, and I didn't even realize it.

I woke up later. I looked around. I didn't recognize where I was until I saw the blanket on top of me. I was home, laying on the couch. I sat up.

How did I get here?