Chapter 11: Stealth

Start from the beginning

I sat outside, waiting. It was ten or so minutes before Peridot finally showed up in the driveway on two feet. She grinned a confident grin at me and reached for my hand. I took it hesitantly. Peridot looked at me and cocked her head to the side.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"I-I don't know," I answered. "I just feel like you're acting like a bad influence. I...I don't want to get in trouble."

"Neither do I," Peridot responded. "Please listen to me when I say that I'm doing this for our own good. With the nightmares you've been having, you need something good to happen."

"What about you?" I asked.

"I didn't realize how crazy imprints are," Peridot answered. "I can't stand being away from you. I've been worrying nonstop. I've come close to doing things to myself just to get everyone's attention. I need help with my health."

"...I'm sorry," I whispered.

"You don't need to be sorry," Peridot responded, kissing my nose. "Ready?"

I nodded. "I'm ready," I answered.

Peridot knelt down on the ground and let me climb onto her back. Suddenly, we were off. Peridot was running down the sides of the roads with perfect balance. I wrapped my arms around her neck and held on. I wondered what the baby would be thinking if she knew what was going on.

We arrived at Peridot's house, where she placed me down on the driveway. She examined the house with her eyes narrowed.

"Mom is crazy good at hearing things," she said. "We're gonna have to get in through my bedroom window."

"How are we gonna get up there?" I asked.

"I'm gonna carry you up there," Peridot answered. "Get on again and hold on tight."

I climbed onto her back again and wrapped my arms rather tightly around her neck. She launched herself onto the first window, grabbed the windowsill, and pulled herself up to her window. It was open.

"Climb onto my shoulders and get in," Peridot whispered. "If you fall, I'll catch you."

I carefully climbed onto Peridot's shoulders and gripped the window the moment I could reach it. I pulled myself inside and slid onto the floor. I was safe. Peridot followed, closing the window behind her. Her eyes were glowing in the darkness of her room. It stunned me. She was obviously anything but human. You would only be able to tell at night though. In this moment, she was as stunning as a vampire. She had moonlight shining on her back and everything. I gasped.

"First things first," she said, slowly walking towards me. "I wanna see how our little one is doing."

"She's not very big," I responded.

"I wanna know if there's a bump yet," Peridot said.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Okay," I replied. "You win."

I pulled up my shirt, and Peridot gasped. I felt myself blushing a little.

"I'm starting to see it," she said. "There's a little bump!"

"Not enough for anyone to notice, right?" I asked.

"No," Peridot answered. "Why do you ask?"

"I-I don't want anyone else to know," I responded, letting go of my shirt so it fell back down.

"I'm pretty sure you can make it through the rest of the school year without anyone noticing," Peridot said.

"Don't bet on it," I replied.