11:48 pm

xi || eleven

ROSE INSISTED that she and Ella take a day off after Thanksgiving. Their dad, after being told by Rose of their fake stomach aches, called the school to excuse them. He even visited Ella in her room, and asked how she was feeling. It was awkward, but Ella appreciated the sentiment. She also texted Noah,

Ella: Rose wants me to stay home today to "relax"

Noah: You deserve it.

Noah: We can maybe meet up after school? I'll get you the math homework

He could very easily just text her the work, but Ella typed her answer without thinking twice.

Ella: Yes. I'll send you my address

Ella grinned. Last night was both amazing and horrible. But what they say was right, there was light at the end of the tunnel.

And her light was Noah.

After their father left the house and locked the door behind him, and the girls heard his car driving away, Rose burst into Ella's room.

"Alright, loser, we're going shopping!" she launched herself in Ella's bed, and Ella laughed, pushing her away.

"Oh my Gos, Rose, get off me!" she screamed, but her sister was instant on pulling her off the bed. The laughter made her feel lighter by tones.

"I'm glad you're laughing," Rose said, but changed the subject before either can think about it too long. Today was supposed to be a day for relaxing and feeling good. "Alright, change and get ready, we're going out in fifteen minutes."

"Fifteen?" asked Ella, "Are you sure that's enough time for you?" she called to her sister.

"Shut it, Ella!" her sister called back. Ella laughed, and changed from her sleeping shorts and tank top to black leggings and a sweatshirt. Something easy and comfortable for walking around in the mall for hours, trying things on.

Rose drove, taking them to the mall. They spent the whole day going into shops, trying things on and buying sweaters and clothes for the winter. At lunch time, they order some junk food, splurging on fried chicken, fries, and sweets. Ella felt happy, truly happy. She talked and laughed with her sister. She isn't ignored or misunderstood. She didn't have to filter herself, didn't have to hide anything. Ella isn't afraid of a hidden agenda.

She was happy.

Ella was also thinking of Noah, and their meet up today. She's excited to see him, which surprised her slightly. Usually, she would freak out over how attached she's becoming to him, and she was a little. Under the happiness and excitement, there's a little fear and doubt. But Noah had proved again and again that he's nothing like the other guys from her life. She's doesn't completely trust him, not yet, but she's starting to.

And that's a lot more than she was ever able to do.

The girls came back home at around three and Ella quickly changed into a comfortable pair of sweatpants and t-shirt, and putting all the newly acquired clothes away. She brushed her hair and at the last minute, reapplies her lip gloss.

Ella smiled at her reflection. It was trying while not appearing to be trying. The perfect look.

The door bell rang and Ella cried, "I'll get it!" and bounded down the stairs. Rose shouted an "Okay!" back and stayed in her room.

Ella tried to calm down her heart and breathing, but it was no use. She was still slightly panting when she opened the door, a huge grin on her face.

"Hey," she said.

Noah stood in front of her in jeans and a school sweatshirt, his backpack in his hands. "Hi," he said.

They just stared at each other for awhile, grinning. And then Ella realized that she should probably invite him in. "Come on in," and steps aside. Noah notices the tray with shoes and even before Ella opens her mouth to ask him, he takes it off.

He smiles at her, "We do that at my house, too," he says.

"I'm glad. I can't understand people who walk with their filthy shoes all over the house. Into their rooms. On their beds," she shudders.

Noah laughs, "Figure that this was something you're passionate about."

"It is!" She says, leading him into the living room. They have an open concept, the kitchen, dining room, and living room are all in one huge room, separated by furniture and the kitchen island. "It's disgusting and gross. And since I have to do the cleaning, I'd rather not there be mud and sand all over the house. Juice?" she asks, opening the refrigerator. "I have apple and lemonade."

"Lemonade."

"Great choice," she grinned. After pouring them both a glass, she goes to sit beside him on the couch, placing a coaster under her glass on the coffee table.

"So, how was your day?" he asked. his body was titled towards hers, and she found that hers was too.

"Great," she grinned. Noah's smile widened even more. "Rose and I went shopping. It was really fun to just be with her and shop. It was . . ." she searches for the word. "Easy."

Like how talking and being with you was becoming easy, she thinks, but doesn't add.

"I'm glad," he says. And his eyes drop to the space of couch between them, his smile dropping. Ella furrows her brow, unsure about his change in demeanour.

"I want to apologize for how I ignored you this weekend. I've been thinking that . . . God, was it shitty that I'm blaming myself for what happened? That if we were talking, maybe you wouldn't have felt the need to talk to him, and I'm sorry. So sorry," he looks at her, and she was surprised at the sincere guilt and regret in his eyes.

Ella was speechless. She had no idea how to deal with this. How to . . . comfort him? It's not her job to do that. He had no right to come in here and act like that and expect her to comfort—

"I'm not looking for you to make me feel better. I would never do that," Ella breathes a little easier. She was ready to call him out on it, but once again he proves that he's a better person than she gives him credit for. "I'm trying to apologize. That I feel horrible for ignoring you, for not talking to you, for what happened to you. And I will do everything I can to make up my shitty behaviour. I just don't to lose you, Ella," he finally says, looking into her eyes. Ella was at once lost in the dark ocean of his eyes. his eyes that look like if she swam far enough, she might make it into his soul. "You've become so important to me. I miss you when you're not there. I'm always thinking of you. You're the first person I want to tell anything to. I don't know how you did it, but you've become a really big part of my life," and he leaned closer to her. Ella noticed distantly that they shifted closer to each other on the couch, now only a centimetre apart. Ella held her breath, unable to move as he came closer and closer until she could feel his breath on her lips. She wanted to reach up and crush her lips to his, he was taking too long, there was only a sliver of space between them and—

"Ella!" Rose called, her footsteps bounding down the hall. Noah and Ella flew apart, each hugging an end of the couch in their attempt to appear like they had not just been about to kiss.

Ella could not trust her voice to speak, so she just waited for Rose to come. She took a sip of lemonade to calm herself down, but her cheeks feel like they were on fire. "Who was at the do—oh, hi, Noah," Ella's sister says, coming into the living room. She stands before the two, looking between them with narrowed eyes. She takes in the faint blush on Ella's nose, Noah's tugging of his sleeves, how he mumbled his greeting without meeting her gaze, and the way both of them were sat flush against the arms of the couch on opposite sides. Rose grins and says, "Alright, I'll leave you two alone. Stay safe!" she calls as she goes back up the steps, winking at a mortified Ella.

"Oh, God, she's so embarrassing," Ella muttered under her breath. But Noah heard her and laughed. Soon, Ella laughed too and any awkwardness there might have been dissolves in the wake of their laughter.