CHAPTER THIRTY

Zainab

It's funny how life works sometimes. This minute, you are happy and all, willing to explore the world with your loved one. And the next minute, you are devastated and on your way to somewhere you didn't plan on going. We are on our way to Maiduguri to attend the funeral of a loved one, the one we didn't expect to die.

Astagfirullah.

After his phone call, I had gotten out of the car to ask him what was wrong. I spoke to him but he didn't respond, he was rather staring into space. I had to shake him vigorously before he looked at me, and then what, tears were streaming down his face. I hugged him tight, drawing soothing circles on his back. I had never seen him like that, so whatever it was, was a serious one.

"Who was it? Who called you habibi and what did they say?"

He sniffled. "It was Ibrahim."

Ibrahim, oh God! His mother.

"What did he say?"

"Baba had an accident on his way back from one of his business trips, he died before he was taken to the hos..hospital." He said, stuttering.

"Innalillahi wainna ilaihirrajiun."

To say I was surprised was an understatement, all this while, we have been living in the fear of losing mama. But Allah had other plans in store for us. Abdulmalik had then slumped down, crying profusely. I sat down beside him, I allowed him to cry, he needed it.

"The only person that I look up to as a father is gone too. Ya ilahi! I even spoke to him yesterday, while waiting for you outside the jamb office. Just yesterday! This world is really nothing."

"Habibi you need to calm down, I know what you are going through and I understand your pain. But, you should pray for him not blab or cry, he needs it."

"You are right habibty, get your bag ready and be fast about it, we are leaving for Maiduguri. Now."

"But habibi it's 2pm, it'll be late by the time we get there. Why not tomorrow."

"Who said anything about road traveling, i'm booking a flight for us."

And he did just that, he got a 2:30pm flight. We had literally rushed everything and left for the airport. I can't believe we are finally going there, I don't want to meet those people. Anything might happen and I don't know if I'll be able to live with the pretence of their insults not affecting me. And I don't want to sound disrespectful to any of them since they are older than me.

And now, as we emerged from the Maiduguri International Airport, I couldn't help but feel a little sting of fear. Abdulmalik was wearing sunglasses, I had peruaded him to wear it after seeing how swollen his eyes were. We halted a cab, got in and drove away.

"Why don't we stay in a hotel since we are spending two days?" I asked.

He started laughing, he was laughing so hard that I felt embarrassed. What is wrong with this man?

"Look Zainab, i'm not in the mood for this, do you get me? So you better watch what you say to me. How can you say that we should lodge into a hotel, do you know what that means? What do you think people would say? That we have a house but we decided to lodge into a hotel. Unbelievable, sometimes I wonder how you think."

I sighed. "I'm sorry if it got you angry. But, you and I know what i'm hinting at."

"Then solve whatever it is, stand up for yourself. Since they are not willing to listen to me, then you might as well do the talking, maybe they'll listen. But please, be quiet. I'm trying to meditate here."