CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Abdulmalik

"May his soul rest in peace, we are sorry we couldn't make it to Maiduguri to pay our respects."

"Aameeen, thank you. No problem charles, thanks once again." I said, smiling a bit.

They nodded their heads and went back to their respective offices. It's been two days I came back to Kaduna, it's also exactly one month after dad's death. Mum wanted me to leave and come back to work earlier but I still stayed back for some time.

I've been receiving condolences ever since I came back which wasn't easy, I mean I really appreciate their concerns but hearing the same thing over and over again is starting to give me headache and making my distress worse.

I just couldn't digest the fact that dad is really gone, I miss him terribly wallahi. May jannatul firdaus be your final abode dad.

"Abdulmalik!" Ahmad yelled tapping my shoulder.

"Huh! What is it?" I asked, exasperatedly.

"For goodness sake you need to pull yourself together and concentrate on yourself and your work, I know it's not easy to but you have to. Allah has already willed this to happen and there's nothing we can do about it, you just have to keep praying for him. And please, stop over thinking, you know what it can cause, I don't have to tell you."

I sighed in defeat. "Okay fine, I've heard all that you've said and thank you for your advice."

"You are welcome. Finish up quickly, let's go and have lunch. I'm damn hungry."

"Is madam back already?" I asked, grinning.

"Yes she is and please stop grinning because we are only going for today, you cannot come and finish all my food." Said Ahmad with a straight face. Although I know he was joking but I still can't always go to his house and eat. It isn't right.

I will know what to do about it later.

"Oh come on, don't do this to me. Okay fine, let's go and eat now, next time I'll eat at a restaurant, happy?"

"Aha! That's more like it, let's go."

***

"Assalamu alaikum." Ahmad and I chorused together.

"Wa'alaikumussalam, welcome. Please come in." Said his ever kind wife.

We went in. I exchanged greetings with his wife and she said her condolences again. She stood up and got us food and drinks.

We ate to our fill, the woman is really a great cook, Masha Allah. I pray my Zainab's cooking is better than hers. We left after eating to the office, completed some work and we left for our various houses afterwards.

***

"We've postponed the date to April 4th in shaa Allah so that your mother can finish her takabah and enjoy the wedding freely. I've already spoken to Zainab's family members about it and they have accepted our decision" Said my uncle.

"Okay uncle."

"Good, take care of yourself, bye."

I hung up and lay down staring up at the ceiling, I already thought of requesting for this but Alhamdulillah my uncles already thought about it too.

Sometimes I wonder how time flies by so fast. I can't believe it's already one month of him being gone. May your soul continue to rest in perfect peace, Amin.

***

Whoever says getting married is easy, tell him it's a lie, a big fat one for that matter. I've already started buying the things needed for the lefe (bridal gifts) and I've spent almost 1.5 million naira. God! And now I will have to pay the money for food, rams, cows, you name it.

Though my uncles and siblings are also trying their best to put something in but it'll never be the same as mine, that's for sure. I'm going to Maiduguri by the end of this month, I need to saw my clothes and also keep an eye on some things.

Zainab and her family are going to Maiduguri by March, I haven't visited her ever since I came back though we always talk on the phone but I really miss her.

I want to see her beautiful face again. I can't go and visit her because I am really busy with work and the wedding preparations.

May Allah make it easy for us, amin.

***

"No, no,no. I am sick and tired of giving out money wallah, how much do you want and what do you want it for?" I yelled into the phone.

I can't believe they are asking for money again, just because I have it doesn't mean I should spend it anyhow and besides we have a life to live after after the wedding too.

"Ya Abdulmalik are you listening to me, I said we need 500 thousand naira for the delicacies and other things. I promise we won't ask of money again."

"I've heard you, I'll send it later."

"Okay bro."

I hung up and focused on my work, these people will not be the death of me.