26

"Godric."

The answering machine had just beeped as Yosie tore down the street, cars and lights flying by us in a coloured haze.

"Who are you calling?"

I ignored Grace; felt my heart beat hard in my chest.

"It's Richie Downing. Athelstan's boy. You, uh, you made me an offer once. After my dad's funeral." I paused, looked at Grace, gulped. "I'm ready to take you up on it. Meet me at the pub on Plymouth in an hour. Please don't be late."

I hung up, eyes lowered.

"Richie?"

The light from Grace's front porch poured in through the tinted windows, brushing against her soft cheeks and gleaming in the diamonds on her blue satin dress. The car rolled to a stop. I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"Lock the doors," I told her. "Keep the lights off. I'll be back soon."

"Richie, what is going on? Who is Godric?"

"Don't worry. I've got this."

"I am not leaving until you tell me what is going on."

"Please, Grace, we don't have time."

"Now, Richie."

I flopped back in my seat, jaw clenched, mind racing. Dammit. Why couldn't she just trust me?

"Rich, please," she said, taking my cool hand in hers. "Don't go. Stay here. With me."

I bit my lip, tilted my head.

"Grace," I murmured. "I can't. He's the only one who can do something about this whole mess."

"Then why do you look so scared?"

I pressed my lips together, shook my head.

"Godric is... he's a very bad man, who has done very bad things."

"What sort of things?"

"It doesn't matter. He's the only one who can stop this."

"But what about you?" She interrupted. "If he's as bad as you say, then what makes you think you'll be safe?"

"That doesn't matter, either."

"Of course it matters," she said. She squeezed my hand, spoke between her teeth. "I'm not going to let you walk into a lion's den."

"Grace." I leaned forward, cupped her face in my cold hands. "Listen. This is the only way to help you, so I don't care. I'm going to do whatever it takes until all this is over. Until you are free." I looked deep into her eyes, along her cheekbones, to her beautiful mouth, parted. "I'm going to make everything okay again. I promise."

When she looked at me, I knew she loved me. But there was much more in those ocean blue eyes – a raging war between what she wanted and what she feared. She leaned forward, soft cheeks powdery in my trembling hands, until I could taste her smoky breath brushing against my lips. My heart raced, pulsing, beating against my ribcage. She was so, so beautiful. Then she bit her cheek, pulled away with a shudder and a shaky breath.

"Be careful," she said.

She looked at me one last time, then climbed out of the car and disappeared inside.

© A.G. Travers 2018