19

I turned the keyring over in my hands, eyeing it long and hard under the harsh fluorescent lights as the vet worked on Dani's leg in the next room. The smell of disinfectant filled the sterile waiting room and every now and then I would glance up, examine the stiff synthetic chairs, and become acutely aware of the deafening silence. At quarter past, the vet emerged.

"Richard?"

I sprung to my feet, wide eyes meeting hers.

"How is she?"

"She's alive," Dr Campbell said. "She's sedated at the moment, but will make a full recovery."

I let out a sigh, the echo of her terrible whimpers ringing in my ears.

"Thank God. When I saw her like that, I... May I see her?"

"Of course."

She turned, heels click-clocking against the tiles as her shiny blond hair bounced with every step. We went through to a small room, where Dani slept on a white-sheeted bed, breathing deeply and painlessly. Her back leg was bandaged into a splint and I rubbed her behind the ear with sorrowful affection.

"It will take around a month or so to fully heal," she said. "She's still a puppy, so she'll likely be more resilient than most."

One ear was listening to her words but the other was focused on a series of rage-fuelled thoughts stabbing into the side of my brain – who was this bastard? What would I do to Him when I found out? How would I get away with it?

"Doctor," I said, interrupting whatever sentence she was in. "Do you recognise this?"

I held out the keyring, flipped it boat-side up. Dr Campbell eyed it curiously.

"Why, yes," she said. "It's a member's keyring, from the Fisher King's Boating Club. My father is a member. They're terribly exclusive."

"And only members receive these?"

"As far as I know."

"Do you know where I could get a list of these members?"

She sat on the question for a moment, shifted her weight.

"I don't know if there's a digital or paper record of members – it would be hard to get access to it even if there was – but there is a plaque in the club. It takes up an entire wall and it lists every member since 1968. But only members are allowed inside, unless you're invited as a plus one for some get-together. I myself have only been there a handful of times since childhood." She eyed me curiously. "These are very strange questions. Why do you ask?"

"It's a long story. Do you know when they're next get together is?"

"This Saturday, I believe. One of the oldest members is having a birthday dinner and then they will all go for a sail at sunset. You still haven't answered my question."

I smiled, tucked the keyring into my back pocket.

"Never mind," I said. "Thank you for everything."

I shook her hand and left.

© A.G. Travers 2018