Chapter 25

Hi everyone,
I hope you're enjoying Horse Academy so far. It's a little bit of a jumbled mess but oh well. I'm just here to have some fun writing. It's a massive bonus if you guys enjoy it and I truly hope you do. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I appreciate those people out their that PM or comment such lovely things. You all make writing HA worth while XD

Once again, thank you!

...

Chapter 25

"You want to move into preliminary?" Sabrina asks.

I shrug. "I've been in the modified level for a while but I know we can move up. You saw how well Storm took those bigger jumps. Why shouldn't we? You the one saying to take risks"

Sabrina frowns. "Yes, but I don't want you to push yourself if it's just to make a point"

I roll my eyes. "I know! And I don't want to do it for that reason. I just... I feel like I've been stuck in the same place for a while. But now that I'm at EFA, I want to make that move. If Dana can complete 1.40m show jump classes with air to spare, why can't I push up a level?"

"So this isn't you wanting to make a point? I know you were disappointed at the last show, but don't think you have to outdo everyone" Sabrina lectures.

I offer her my pinky finger. "I promise you, it's nothing like that. I just need your help so it's done the right way and we're prepared"

Sabrina shakes her head and laughs. "Okay, I'll help. But you need to help me with Trigger. Tenaya and Leo have almost given up on the horse"

Awe, why me Sabrina?

Sighing, I give in. "Deal"

"Brilliant" Sabrina claps.

It was Friday night and I was a nervous wreck. Tryouts were tomorrow and didn't know how to present myself. I was currently in my dorm room with Sabrina and Cora, fussing over my show clothes. Well, more listening to them fuss over clothes.

"No! She is not wearing that" Cora shouts from the walk in closet.

Next second, one of my polos are pegged at Sabrina's face.

"Ugh! Do you see this Taylor, the abuse I put up with? It's ridiculous" Sabrina pouts.

I giggle, finding the whole thing rather amusing.

Yet again, my mind flickers to Erin and Kirra.

It was now or never...

"Hey Cora, do you know much about a girl named Erin? I think she's in your grade" I call.

Cora's head pops out of the closet. "You mean the wicked witch of the west"

I toss my head back and laugh. "I take it that she's not a good person"

Sabrina shakes her head. "She's the ultimate Cruella De Vil of the equestrian world?"

"Oh my gosh, Sabrina has been saying that ever since she arrived. What was it, like your second night at EFA and you already called her that like ten times" Cora snickers.

The girls flop on the mat, sorting through the clothes that were now scattered on my floor.

"Well she is like Cruella, thank goodness her parents don't buy her a horse. She'll make it into a coat or something" Sabrina says, causing Cora to giggle.

I contemplate for some time in telling them what's going on.

"Why do you ask?" Cora says.

I sigh and turn to look at them. "Well I was at the barn on Sunday night and heard her talking to a girl named Kirra. I think they're actually up to something... Kirra spoke bitterly about 'legacies' and Erin sounded like she wanted Sonnet for herself. Not to mention that she seemed to hate your entire existence"

Sabrina sighs. "Kirra Adams is Mrs Adams daughter, she's a major trouble maker. I can't say I'm shocked"

A teachers daughter?!

"And Erin, aren't you worried? She's trying to get Dana to lose her horse" I ask incredulously.

"All we can do is be cautious. If Erin is trying steal back Sonnet, she'll do anything to get her way. That involves crushing who ever blocks her path" Sabrina warns.

"My advice is watch your back, we call her a witch for a reason. She won't directly threaten Sabrina, but she may harrass you if you get in her way" Cora adds.

Sabrina nods in agreement.

I groan in frustration. "That's it! I'm so done with drama"

Cora laughs. "And yet, somehow it find its way back to you"

I sigh again. "Can we just find something for me to wear for tomorrow?"

...

The morning came to quickly, and soon enough the sun rises.

Today was my advanced team tryouts. I was dressed in my carefully picked show clothes, with a EFA ribbon woven into my hair. The girls thought that to make me look like a good candidate, I should show team spirit and sport EFA's school colours. Hence the ribbon and todays choice of saddle pads.

"I hope you aren't nervous boy" I mutter, clumsily putting on my helmet with trembling hands.

"Okay, maybe I'm a little nervous" I add, feeling my stomach churn with dread.

Storm looks at me out of the corner of his eye before going back to his snoozing state.

"Hi Taylor" Mia chirps as she passes me.

Was she really going to act like nothing has changed? Doesn't she think it's weird that her friend would try burning holes into me all day long? If looks could kill, Ebony's glares would've put me six feet under a long time ago.

"Hey" I sigh

With Star, Major and Breeze being stabled near Storm, there was no escaping the Perfect Three. Soon enough, Scarlett and Ebony walk by me. Scarlett however, pauses mid step.

"I thought we were all going to be matching and have our horses wear white" Scarlett says, clearly directing her comment at me.

Ah, so her random message to me last night was actually serious.

"Oh, you weren't joking" I mutter as I tightened Storm's girth.

Scarlett scoffs. "Do I look like the joking type?"

"Well it's to late now" I mutter.

Scarlett shakes her head. "I'm sure we can fix this, I'll go get his white saddle cloth"

"Sorry, I have to go now, later maybe?" I lie, beginning to lead Storm away.

Scarlett glowers. "Suit yourself Hastings, just don't come crying to us when you don't get on to the advanced team"

I clench my jaw in annoyance, refusing to retaliate.

Control freak much?

"I've got to warm up now, I'll see you later" I said instead.

As I lead Storm to the outdoor ring, my mind wondered back to Scarlett's words. Once again, she had me double taking. How could someone be so controlling and rude? If I wanted her help, I would tell her. She shouldn't be so offended that I did my own thing.

Shaking my head, I place one foot in the stirrup and bounce lightly into the saddle.

"Okay Storm, we've got this... no pressure at all" I found myself saying.