Chapter 17

Sorry for taking so long to update again, school sucks!

...

Chapter 17

I groan in frustration as my alarm beeps loudly. It takes me a few moments to realise what today is. My first day at representing EFA in the show ring. That thought alone had me flinging myself out of bed. It was 5am and we were driving to Ocala at 6am. As I get into my EFA equestrian uniform, I double check my already organised bag. I try to take a breath and relax but the attempt is futile. Nothing can make me less nervous and excited then I am now. As I leave the room, Kit mumbles good luck to me before instantly falling back asleep.

The cool breeze had me refreshed and swayed the trees in the early morning light. I was excited but nervous. I was attending my first show as an EFA student with Storm. It was crazy! I hope I live up to expectations. Sabrina had told me the elite and advanced team coach, Mr Reynolds, would be spectating today.

Talk about pressure.

As suspected, Sabrina was already at the barn. Her gelding, Crescendo, was on cross ties sleeping as she groomed his already gleaming coat. I quickly greeted her before I kept going to Storm's stall. Storm stood, looking over his stall door at all the commotion with curiosity. I place my bag down next to the stall and give Storm a treat.

"How's my pretty boy?" I coo as I slide into his stall and with his halter. His ears flicker towards me as he backs up so I have some space. I pet him on the neck and take a moment to appreciate the morning. How lucky I was to be here. And how much more luckier I was to have my beautiful boy with me.

So far, Storm has taken everything in his stride and seemed to be enjoying it. I didn't think it was possible for him to be behaving even better. He had more of a spring in his step then usual which made my heart swell with pride. I was so happy the big move didn't affect him negatively.

As I finish putting his halter was on, Storm intently watches me as I open the stall door and cue for him to follow. I noticed Trouble was on a pair of cross ties near Sabrina's horse and the two owners exchanging a friendly conversation. I wonder if Ashlyn and Sabrina were friends?

Every since her confession, Ashlyn has been acting nice-ish. I had remarkably been able to convince her into going to the dance. It surprisingly wasn't that bad and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, even Ashlyn. I still couldn't help but to feel bad for her. What she told me explained a lot of things. She mustn't have gotten into the elite team due to the set backs.

Totally unfair if you ask me...

Although Storm was a school master, I would still have to be careful at this show. We have just made a massive move to a completely different state. The thought alone makes my stomach clench. I wanted to be here, but now that I am, I'm not so sure if I can handle the pressure.

I've never been the nervous type until this year. Until EFA. The problem wasn't Storm, it was me. If Storm picks up on my nerves, we'll crash and burn. He's still as sensitive as he was all those years ago.

My thoughts are interrupted as one of the teachers say something.

"Everyone leaving for the Ocala show must be ready in 20 minutes to load their horses, those who aren't will be left behind" the male voice says.

I cringe at the thought. That would not only be embarrassing, but a horrible way to start my eventing career at EFA. Quickly glancing down at my watch, the time was now 5:27am. I hadn't realised it took me so long to get to the barn.

Blinking rapidly, I rush to make sure all of Storm and I's equipment is packed in the float. The 20 minutes was ticking away extremely quickly. As I fumble to put on Storm's travel boots, I notice that I have approximately 2 minutes to spare. Once I'm done, I check that Storm's competition rug is secure before leading him outside.

That was close.

The grooms had just started loading horses into the EFA floats. Luckily, they mark the student roll after all the horses are loaded. So if you're running a minute or two late, you'll most likely be fine. Once Storm is loaded, I sigh in relief. Storm didn't give the grooms any trouble as he was loaded.

"Taylor Hastings" I hear my name called by a dainty woman.

"Here" I respond, quickly putting my hand up so the woman could see me.

The woman sends all of us individual smiles before giving the all clear. As we split into groups, I find that each rider goes to the vehicle that their horse is in. I find myself with a group of younger girls who eye me suspiciously. If I remember correctly, they were the gossip girls from horse examinations on Saturday.

As we pile in, I find myself in the passenger seat, looking keenly out the window. Florida was so different compared to back hone. I wasn't passing up the opportunity to sightsee. That, and to gawk at all the beautiful horses and farms which we passed.

The person driving us today was the woman who did the roll check. She seemed nice enough and had happily sparked a conversation with the girls. I soon found out her name was Kathy, and that she was one of EFA's councillors. She talks to people about their feelings and what not... Her happy go lucky attitude made me feel less awkward about being in a car with unfamiliar people.

Then one of the girls had to spoil it by singling me out.

"Aren't you that scholarship girl? I heard that-" the girl is cut off when her friend elbows her.

Kathy glances at them in the rear view mirror and raises her brows. Now I was curious but nervous. What was she about to say?

I'll have to ask later...

"How was that winter dressage festival Dana?" Kathy asks, saving me from the awkwark silence.

I however felt a bitter taste in my mouth, not liking being referred to as the 'scholarship girl'.

It made me all the more competitive, wanting to prove myself to the EFA team. I wanted them to see me dominate the ring. I wanted them to see me as an equal. I wanted to succeed.

But most of all, I wanted to fit in.