CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Start from the beginning

"Habibi." I shrieked and hugged him.

"Oh habibty, you have no idea how much I missed you." He whispered into my ears.

I shivered. "Me too darling, I can see you are so tired. Come in, have a bath and eat."

"You are the best, I'll do just that. I'll be out in ten."

"Alright."

After dropping his laptop bag, I left the room and brought out the tiger nuts drink from the fridge that I made earlier and placed it on the table, keeping the cups beside it. I sat down on one of the chairs and waited for him.

He came out of the room, smelling sweet. His cologne, hitting my nostrils. He pecked me before sitting down, I served him and served myself the drink because I had already eaten.

Done eating, he gave me the pregnancy strip. I performed two units of prayers before taking the test. We sat down in the room and waited. After the said minutes, we checked it. It was negative. I couldn't move nor utter a word, I was so much expecting a positive result, I was looking forward to having our baby. The thought of it brought tears to my eyes but I bottled it up. I won't relent, I know i'm pregnant, I can feel it. Sometimes the stick doesn't bring out the right result.

Abdulmalik hugged me in a comforting manner but I pushed him away, the look on his face was that of surprise but I didn't care, I knew I was pregnant.

"Habibi, I know i'm pregnant. I can feel it, please let's go to the hospital, the sticks don't work sometimes, please take me to the hospital."

"Habibty..."

"Please." I cut him off.

He sighed. "Alright, get your hijab."

***

He parked at the hospitals parking lot and we emerged. He had a friend there so it wasn't difficult for us. Knocking on his office, he gave us the permission to come in. After they exchanged pleasantries, he told him about the issue at hand. He called in a nurse and asked her to take my blood sample. He asked us to go back home and wait that he'd call Abdulmalik and tell us the result but I said no. I want to hear the good news in person.

An hour later, she came in with the result. I sat up and watched in keen interest as he opened the slip.

"I'm sorry Mrs Abdulmalik, but you are not pregnant, the reason why you didn't...."

"I studied biology you know, keep your explanations to yourself." I cut him off.

I barged out of the office even though I could hear Abdulmalik calling my name. I stood by the car and looked down at my feet. I feel horrible right now, if that is what HE wills then May HE bring the right one at the right time. But i'm still upset with Abdulmalik, i'm sure he must be happy now, it seemed like he didn't want the pregnancy.

"What was the meaning of what you just did? You just disgraced me in there. Are you the first woman on earth who didn't get pregnant at the early stage of marriage? Some had to wait for years before they got one, yours is just nine months and you are complaining. I can't..."

"Please, please! Take me home. I don't have time for this."

"What did you just say?"

"You heard me."

I got into the car and banged it shut. He shook his head and got in. He tried talking to me through out the ride home but I didn't respond. We got home in no time, I got out of the car and moved into the house swiftly. I removed my hijab and sat on the couch, fuming. He came in some minutes later and settled on the couch, shuffling through the channels.