In The Halls of Gemsamoria

Start from the beginning

It was mainly a blue and purple theme, what Aliyah had chosen, which matched her eyes and contrasted with her hair. The earrings were amethyst, dangling down to her shoulders. The necklace she had chosen was simple diamonds and rose quartz, matching her skin tone, and Aliyah had helped her decide between the sapphire and aquamarine style bracelets. She'd pulled her back into a workshop behind one of the stores - apparently her father was a master jewelry maker - and had babbled in their own language to him in excitement. In the end, he'd created two bracelets that made her eyes widen in astonishment: solid gold and silver bangles lined with sapphires and aquamarines. "I couldn't take these!" she gasped.

"He's asking you to," Aliyah told her as the man spoke in their own language. "He saw your rings. He recognizes the traditions among the Gallifreyans."

"Really?" she asked in surprise, and he nodded eagerly. "That obvious?"

"The Time Lords are well respected across the universe," Aliyah replied with a warm smile. "He wants you to take them."

Jessie smiled. "Well, I have to pay for them." She held up a hand as the man tried to stop her. "I'm going to, and that's it. My thanks."

The man hesitated, and that was all she needed. She pulled out one of the credit sticks she had in her pocket, still entirely full to who knew how much, and she handed it to them. "Give it good use," she told him when his eyes widened. "I want you to keep making all of this jewelry."

He nodded, and Aliyah smiled. "You were supposed to meet someone soon, were you?"

Jessie checked her watch and nodded. "Half hour," she replied.

Aliyah pulled her off, and Jessie laughed, running after her.

***

As soon as they were gone, the Doctor poked his head around one of the other doors that led to another work room he'd been hiding in when he'd heard the two coming, and blew out a breath. "That was close," he muttered.

The jeweler, Jordan, chuckled. "She is lovely," he told him. "You are a lucky man."

"No kidding," the Doctor agreed, hands in his pockets. "Thank your daughter for me when she comes home."

"I will," Jordan replied before opening a box underneath his work station. "It is lucky I was done before they arrived."

He opened it, and the Doctor smiled at the other works Jordan had been working on. "Thank you," he told him. "She'll love it."

"I hope so," Jordan replied, shaking his hand. "Take good care of her, old friend."

"I will," he promised, taking the box and walking out of the shop.

***

Jessie found the Doctor waiting for her in the lobby of the soft green hotel accented with emeralds. "Well, look at you!" the Doctor exclaimed, eyes lighting up.

Jessie laughed, doing an experimental twirl, the dress flaring out around her. "You approve, then?" she asked.

He grinned. "If it's you wearing them? Of course." She blushed a little, and the Doctor laughed, holding out a hand. "Come on, we'll put those bags upstairs."

"How long are we staying here?" she asked.

"Longer than a day," he replied. "The rest of it is up to you." Jessie's eyes lit up, and he quickly added, "but not longer than a month, OK?"

She grinned. "All right. A day less than a month." He mock sighed, but she laughed again and leaned on him. "Two weeks?" she offered.

"That I might be able to handle."