"Only one day?" Dad's eyebrows scrunched up and he looked genuinely upset. "When is your break? Why don't they ever give you guys a vacation?"

"Maybe Mom can threaten the school again."

Dad grinned at me. "She really did that, huh."

"If you got power, use it." Dad gave me a look. "Okay, fine, so, just don't use it too much. Anyways, it sounds like you need a vacation, Dad," I pressed. It worried me seeing him this stressed. He seriously needed it. "When was the last time you ever had fun?"

"Before you were born," Dad deadpanned, making me open my mouth in fake hurt.

I leaned back in the couch, crossing my arms. Might as well ask the one who would know the most. "Dad, What do you know about Redlands Shadow?"

Dad looked up, raising an eyebrow his toe teasing. "Taking an interest in pack history?"

"Dad."

"Hm," Dad mused. "From the top of my head, you probably heard a little from your mother, but Alpha Derek Silva and his Luna Melissa ruled a few years ago. Alpha Derek died by rogues and his Beta, Silas Pierce took over after."

Blaine Pierce. That's his Dad.

"Your classmate our goddaughter, Edith- her Dad was Alpha Derek."

"Wouldn't the Luna take over in case of the Alpha's death?"

"She does," Dad nodded. "But it depends on the Luna. When we went to the funeral and saw Melissa, she was distraught. Perhaps she couldn't rule at the time with her mental state. It's understandable."

I mulled it over. Was Edith afraid that would happen to her?

"If your mate dies, does that always happen? Are you incapable of doing anything?"

Dad set his paper down, taking a deep breath. "Not that it's something I ever want to think about, but mostly yes. It depends individually. Some know they have to get things moving along. Maybe they need time to heal and that's okay. Alpha Paxon did the same for his mate, but now he's ruling. In his case, Uncle Sargon lost his sister, the Beta and the Alpha were both grieving, but your Uncle could do pack things than Paxon could who lost his mate. Who knows how long it will take. Grief for your mate- who is another part of you- varies. I've seen instances such as Paxon who got up eventually and some don't. But a part of you dies when your mate dies."

"That's so..." I trailed off.

Dad raised an eyebrow. "Deep. But that's the point of mates, to feel so deeply for each other. It's worth it. Your good feelings outweigh the bad." Dad paused. Then, "You shouldn't be thinking too much about it, West. Enjoy your time while you're here and your mate will come and you'll see how you feel."

I swallowed my guilt up. It ate at me, not telling my parents.

"Happiness is all the moments I spend with your mother and having to see the embodiment of our love with you and Wyatt."

"You sure you're not a poet?"

"I tried writing a poem once for your Mom. She laughed ...in the bad way."

"Really??" I'm intrigued. My parents are an enigma. "Can I read it?"

"Not a chance."

XXXX

The next morning, the basketball coach  Henry called me up to watch the Junior team practice. Luckily, he actually cared for my opinion about the younger ones, and I was an encourager to them too.