He was being forced to reject girls who threw themselves at him, some as young as second years. He had once shouted at a particularly clingy third year after she had jumped on him and forced her lips on his. He had completely lost it, and had shouted at the poor girl for more than ten minutes straight. She had looked terrified, but Harry hadn't felt a thing for her as rage had started to build up in him. How did they dare? He was a normal person, he deserved space and privacy as much as anyone else.

After that episode, girls had started gossiping about the supposed girl that Harry was seeing. They had thought that since he was rejecting so many of them, he must already be seeing someone else.

Harry had laughed when Hermione had told him this.

He had broken up with Ginny after the end of the war. They had both agreed that it wasn't something that was going to last, it wasn't something they were doing for them. They hadn't had any romantic feelings for each other, they had been together merely because those were the expectations. Everyone had thought that Harry would settle down with Ginny and make a bunch of children and live happily ever after. They had agreed that that wasn't what they had wanted, and had gone their separate ways.

They were still friends, and Harry saw her as her sister, but now she was with Neville, and Harry had to agree that those two were perfect for each other. Neville was caring and loved the red head in a way that Harry never had. He found himself glad that the fiery girl had found someone so fitting for her, and did not feel bitter for the loss of such a girl.

He had often wondered why that was.

She was the perfect girl, now turned woman.

She was funny, and pretty.

She was caring, and quick-witted.

Anyone would want someone like her.

Why didn't he?

-

It was one month into the term and the weather was already starting to become colder and colder. Harry had decided to keep his head low all the time and not bring more attention on him than he already had.

He made his way outside in the Hogwarts grounds during a particularly noisy lunch.

The Hall had been filled with people, all talking loudly and laughing and shouting and it had quickly become too much for Harry. His breath had quickened, his hands had come up to the table, bracing him and keeping him grounded.

Too many people.

The volume of the chatter was deafening.

Danger.

The last time there were this many people in here...

War.

The hall was slowly becoming smaller, the walls approaching Harry.

Not again.

He had jumped up and ran from the hall.

Anything to get away.

Anything to be happy again.

Anything to forget about all of it.

He made his way to the open grounds, the cold air hitting his face as he inhaled slowly.

The temperature grounded him, somehow, and the breeze hitting his face dried the telltale tears that had escaped from his eyes. He crumbled to the floor, bringing his knees up to his chest and rocking back and forth, his breathing ragged and broken.

Harry shut his eyes in the hope of stopping the stream of tears that had started flowing freely from the corners of his eyes.

Nothing ever went as expected, someone had once told him.