Chapter Twelve: It lies within the walls

Collin was still suffering from insomnia, but he thought that could be helpful since the killer liked to attack him at night. Collin didn't stay in his bed this time either, this time he hid in his closet with Phantom in his hand.he heard a noise, it was the footsteps of the killer. The killer walked towards the bed, tore off the covers and found no one was there. The killer didn't even bother looking around his room. The man opened the door and staggered into the halls. Collin had left the closet door ajar, so when he opened it he wouldn't have to turn the door knob and attract the murderer's attention.

Collin peered through his bedroom door, he watched the killer look into rooms. Collin quietly followed the faceless man in and out of the many rooms in his house. The man would spend about five minutes in each room before going to the next one. Collin had gotten very close to the killer now, if he slipped up once, he would be dead. As he followed the horrible criminal, Collin made a small error, stepping on a creaking floor board.

The murderer turned around to find Collin, walking behind him this whole time. Collin stepped back into the darkness. The murderer walked past him and disappeared. Why didn't he go after Collin while he was right there? Collin kept following, only now he had nothing to follow except the sound of footsteps. Collin heard the whispering again, it was coming from up stairs. He chased after it, looking through the upstairs rooms where he hadn't been. There was a little room with a television and a couch, a bathroom and the master bedroom that his parents slept in. Collin listened for the whispers again, they had gotten louder. Collin slid down the hall trying to get to the whisperer himself. The only thing Collin hadn't realized is that the whispering was coming from behind him.

Collin turned his head to look behind him, the killer was standing at the top of the stairs. Collin started at him for a moment. It was very dark in that hallway, it was hard to see almost anything. The killer just stood there as if to say he gave up, but Collin knew better than to turn his back and assume it was over. Collin walked slowly toward him, and then faster and faster until he was charging at the killer. Collin put his hands out in front of him and collided into his faceless foe. The shape fell down the stairs and laid on his back at the foot of the staircase. Collin walked down the stairs to make sure he had won. When he got to the bottom he tapped the mans back with his toes. When Collin was most unwary, the killer bounced off the ground and knocked Collin onto the stairs just before running into his room.

Collin looked up at the ceiling of the stairwell, he thought it was over, that he was going to die on these steps. He thought about what he would be doing if none of this had ever happened. He and Alex would be hanging out at either his house or Alex's, watching a movie or playing a board game like they did every Friday night. Collin stopped and told himself that, that wasn't his life anymore, this was. Collin got up, dusted himself off and marched into his bedroom. He swung open the door and looked around for a minute, the killer was definitely hiding. He looked out the window but the killer wasn't out in the street. Collin looked under his bed, he worried as to what would happen when he did find the killer. Collin still hadn't found his new nemesis, so he kept searching. He wasn't in his closet or behind his dresser. Collin had no idea where the man could have gone. Collin sat on his bed with despair, then he noticed something. There was a part of the floor that was cut into a rectangle, it was Collin only other lead. "What is that?" Collin asked himself. He opened the strange part of his floor and found a very long wooden staircase that went underneath of his bedroom. Collin looked at the staircase for a moment, it appeared to be old, it was, to him, very twisted and dark. Collin went back into his memory to the night only a week ago where the killer had attacked him and then disappeared when he turned on the lights, then Collin remembered all of the places he had talked about with Dayna and Nathan that the killer had been at whenever they got there. The killer was hiding beneath him the whole time. Collin rushed out of his room to find Dayna and Nathan.

Collin rushed down the street toward Nathan and Dayna's house. He knocked on the door and found Nathan to answer him. "Collin, why are you at our house right now? It's two in the morning." He whispered. "It's an emergency, I found the killer, at least where he has been hiding." Nathan smiled at him, Nathan ran inside to go get Dayna. When they returned Collin explained to them where the killer was and how he knew where they were going. "So are we going to explore this creepy hidden staircase?" Dayna looked very interested. Collin nodded at her. Now, Collin had the upper hand on the killer, he would go to his secret underground building and defeat him. It would be dangerous but Collin could win with his friends help.