Chapter Nine: Lockdown

Collin woke up earlier in the morning than he usually did. He was glad to see he was alive, but dreading the thought of going back to school. Collin packed his bag and ate breakfast. He said goodbye to his parents and left the house. "Hey Collin!" Nathan shouted from down the road. "Do you guys know where the school is?" He asked. "Yeah we do, c'mon." Nathan smiled and began to run down the road. Collin followed, as did Dayna this time. They ran for quite a few miles, down winding roads and through parks, Collin wondered if Nathan was actually taking them to the school. "Up this way." Nathan said. He was pointing at the stairs up an apartment building. "You want us to go up a building?" Collin inquired. "It's a shortcut." Nathan had reached full crazy now, he climbed up the metal stairs of the building and when he reached the top he disappeared  onto the roof. Reluctantly, Collin and Dayna followed him. When they reached the top of the apartment building, Nathan had already gone across three buildings. Collin realized that he had to jump over the gaps between buildings to get to the school. "Here goes nothing." He said. Collin ran and jumped over the five foot gaps between each building, he maintained a rhythm of ten strides then a leap. Dayna followed with no problem, she had been used to doing things like this by now. Her brother had brought her in runs like this all the time, even when they were really little.

Collin could almost see the school, he was only four more buildings away. In hope that he would get there with no problem, he lost his focus and lost his momentum. He was holding onto the edge of another apartment building. Nathan stopped for him and ran back to where Collin clung for dear life. "Here, take my hand!" He shouted. Collin reached out to him and pulled himself back into the roof and dusted himself of. "Thanks, I was about to die." Collin felt so glad that he didn't go splat on the concrete. "You will be dead if your late for school!" He said. Collin rushed ahead toward the open area where his school was. "Almost there. Wouldn't want to be late on the first day." He said to himself. He climbed down the last tower and ran across the road. This was his new school, he'd better make the most of it.

Collin walked into the school not knowing where any of his classes were, he wandered around the lobby looking for a map. "Follow me, I know where our class is." It was Dayna, she grabbed him by the arm and rushed down a hallway and into a class. "Hello ms. Matthews, how was your summer?" This was Collin's new home room teacher, mr. Henderson. "It was great, thanks." Dayna went and sat down. "You must be the new student, tell us a bit about yourself." Mr. Henderson was a very nice, very young eighth grade teacher. He had an amazing smile that made you feel better just by looking at him. "Uh, ok," Collin began. "Well, my name is Collin Pierce, I'm from Staten Island, and I moved here about a week ago. I moved here only a couple days after my former friend had been murdered by a man in a hood and then I was almost destroyed by a boat that blew up a few days ago." Everyone was staring right at him like he was some sort of god that flew from above to talk to them about how life should be. Collin walked to a desk beside Dayna and sat down. This was going to be a very long day.

Collin had gone from class to class learning about math and sciences and other stuff that didn't matter to him. A boy in his class named Richard leaned over to him, he was a very tall muscular guy, he was probably a popular person. "So is the Mafia or the government after you or something." He was probably joking, but Collin couldn't be sure. Richard May be strong and handsome but he wasn't any smarter than a brick. They were in history that period learning about WW2 and when Richard answered a question he said that Adolf Hitler was Jewish! "No, it's just one guy, I think, I don't really know." Collin was a little worried now. What if he said something stupid and then Richard would go and tell the whole class. Collin finished his paper and handed it into the history teacher. "May I go use the washroom?" Collin asked. "Yes you can." Collin didn't actually have to go to the bathroom, he just needed to get away from everyone in that room. He left and walked towards the bathroom. Suddenly the P.A. System turned on and someone began to speak. "The school is on full lockdown, there is a man inside of the school looking for a- ," the voice cut out. Collin knew who it was, the killer who has been chasing him, was in the school. Collin didn't have time to go to the bathroom at the end of the hall. He could see a tall shadow turning the corner. Collin rushed into a broom closet. He could hear footsteps walking towards him. They stopped and looked in classrooms. The footsteps were very loud now. He could see the man in a hood, he was very tall, his face wasn't visible from that angle so Collin couldn't see his face. The hooded figure approached the broom closet. Collin covered his mouth, if the man heard him breathing, he would knock open the door and slaughter him. Collin slowly shuffled to the door, locked it and covered the little part that he used to look through. The man kept walking toward the broom closet, he stopped at the door and knocked. When no one answered, he knocked harder. The man was now banging his fists into the door leaving little dents in it. Collin was cornered, there were no other doors in the closet, he had to wait for the man to go away. Collin heard one more knock before it all went silent. There were no footsteps so the man was still there. In an instant a hammer went through part of the door. Collin had very little time to think of an escape, almost none.