Chapter 28: Complicated, Conflicted

Start from the beginning

Naruto gulped at the memory. To him, it was clear as day how fleeting life was, but it hadn't driven him to such fear and madness as it did that moment he thought Hinata had died protecting him. He nodded slowly, almost solemnly, inviting Kurama to say more.

"The Fourth Hokage appeared to stop you from releasing the Seal back then that kept me in control. You should know then that he had sealed only half of my power in you... And he chose the less hateful half of my being."

Naruto nodded with better understanding then. "So how does that matter to what happened just now?"

"There is an existent chakra that is still mine and untapped in this dimension, and it remains connected to me and in turn to you since you've acquired a bond with me that allows you to tap into my power." Kurama began explaining in better detail, and Naruto was practically leaning forward eager to know. "I can't completely comprehend it right now, but it felt as though you were able to tap into the more hateful chakra of mine that had been taken from me."

"You mean the chakra dad sealed into himself?"

"Yes. Remember, nothing can be completely destroyed. It's form is merely changed. In this case, my chakra cannot be destroyed when it is half of my being, but it is a surprise that you have the capability to now tap into it. But it isn't an entirely good thing."

"Yeah. Because it made me lose control."

"No, Naruto. My half did not cause this. You lost control of your own emotions. Half my chakra may be a factor, but so is your emotional stability. Those negative and powerfully poisonous emotions you've allowed to simmer in you might have given you the passageway to the other half. The other Kurama and I may be the same, but we are also divided."

"Are you saying my emotions caused this?"

"It's one way of putting it, Naruto. But it isn't the sole cause. You need to learn better control of your emotions though, that will be your fight inside. Fighting with an external enemy is one thing. But you also have to master fighting with yourself in an internal battle of discipline."

Naruto released the breath he was holding. "What can I do, Kurama?"

"Address your emotions with regard to Sasuke and Hinata's roles in the restoration plan." Kurama's voice was neutral but it had an edge of a challenge Naruto did not appreciate.

I know. Naruto didn't say it aloud as he looked down and clenched his fists.

"Uzumaki Naruto, remember that you now hold parts of the other 8 Tailed-Beasts inside you. You are holding so much more power than anyone else in existence. You have to face the things that aren't quite as easy to fight."

"I understand."

"Good. Now, rest here first. You need to understand and meditate on how you feel before you come face to face with the object of your confusion." Kurama instructed in his deep timbre voice, and Naruto sat cross-legged on the floor to comply.

* * *

"Naruto-kun?" Hinata dropped on her knees beside Naruto's unconscious body. "What happened to him?" She directed her question at Kakashi who tiredly sat on the other side of Naruto's body.

"He exploded and made every bandit that we found unconscious, then he lost control and used the Kyuubi's power to destroy a large portion of the underground hideout. I didn't think it was possible but..."

"Was Kabuto there?" Sasuke cut in, also directing his question to Kakashi.

"Kabuto? Why would he be involved in this?"