Chapter 28: Complicated, Conflicted

Start from the beginning

"Is he back there?"

"I don't know." Sasuke answered honestly. "But he's with Kakashi, wherever they may be, so don't worry." His second statement was only half the truth. He knew how powerful Naruto is and that in itself allowed him to protect himself from nearly anything, but that Kakashi would probably be unable to control him if Naruto had indeed lost control. But he kept his face neutral to keep her from worrying any further.

Hinata gulped a bit and nodded, signaling her understanding. Sasuke gestured for them to move on and Hinata no longer refused to comply. They continued on their way. She understood Sasuke wouldn't give her any information, and decided not to press for it any further.

* * *

Kakashi had found it incredulous how Naruto had actually admitted to losing control because everyone had thought it impossible for him to ever unleash that power unwillingly after the Kyuubi, no rather Kurama, had opened himself to share his chakra and power with Naruto.

But now, what had just happened? It was reminiscent of those times he had lost control and allowed Kurama's power of hate and rage to consume him. Just like the time they were attacked by Orochimaru, and then later on when Pain attacked Konoha.

It was the same fearsome power that made Kakashi feel so overwhelmed and small. But his former student needed him.

"Naruto," Kakashi called his name once more to check if he was conscious. When Naruto didn't move or budge in the least, Kakashi threw his former student over on his back. He had trouble raising his legs then, with the extra weight.

But he managed to pull through, and exited by jumping from the pile of rocks and debris made by Naruto's explosive jutsu. Practically none of the bandits were conscious enough to stop them, and those that could no longer wanted to see what else the famed Konoha Hero and Kyuubi vessel could do.

The leader groaned. "Shit, we chose the wrong targets."

* * *

Naruto was still unconscious. But Kurama forced his way in to tap into his mind.

"Naruto!" Kurama called out in a stern voice and the Uzumaki was startled into entering Kurama's space in him. He found himself standing on the familiar area with liquid pooling around his ankles. The nine-tailed beast sat pristine and towered high above Naruto, but there was no teeth-revealing smile on his face as Naruto looked up at him. His fiery orange fur looked smooth but Naruto could sense how it bristled with unease.

"Kurama," Naruto began, taking a step forward. "What happened? Why did I lose control?" He was genuinely confused and hoped the beast had the answers he needed.

Kurama took a deep breath as he regarded Naruto with serious eyes. "I was about to ask you the same thing. Do you understand what just happened to you?"

"But I thought that could never happen again since you already lent me your chakra and power. We're connected, aren't we?"

"We are. I see you understand the surface of it. But you have to know that you are not incapable of losing control and tapping into my power without my will. I have opened up my power to you, but you are just as responsible in handling this borrowed power as you are with your own, Naruto."

"But it doesn't make sense!"

"I know. I had a feeling we would need to talk about this, but I didn't expect it to be so soon and under these circumstances."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you recall your fight with Pain in Konoha? How you released six tails after seeing Hinata almost die by Pain's hands?"