ONE

//KAITLYN'S POV//

It was just a regular, quiet Thursday night at the salad bar and I was restocking the fridges in the shop front. It was boring as hell, and my eyes were slowly getting heavier as I picked can after can from a cardboard box and placed it into the fridge. 

As I sat there in front of the drink fridge, I grew jealous of my friends who were either working cool jobs like lazer skirmish, or just partying the night away. 'Lucky bitches' I thought to myself as someone walked in the shop. He was quite tall and looked about my age but definably prettier. He had long-ish curly black hair and pale, flawless skin. I wish I looked like that, just less of the sharp masculine features. That would be quite strange...

"Hi, I'm here to pick up and order for Alexander?" He said to Mark, who was standing at the front counter while Matthew stood away doing just about nothing. I don't blame him, no one really wanted to work today and it was really quiet most Thursday nights. Mark took a bag from under the counter and handed it to the boy. "That's $14.50" He spoke with a smile, soon receiving a $20 note that the boy fished out of his pocket. Receiving the change, he turned to leave and caught my eye as he did. We exchanged a small smile before he left through the door. 

'He seems very polite, I bet we could've been great friends' I thought to myself, picking up another can of lemonade from the box, as the boy walked swiftly back inside. Confused, Mark smiled nervously assuming he got the order wrong. 

"Hey, sorry to bother you again, but are you hiring? I'm looking for a job to do for a while in between studying" He asked, smiling politely. 

Mark lit up, "Yes, we could really use some extra help around here. Would you mind dropping a resumé in tomorrow?? I'll be able to take it then."

"Yes that's perfect, I'll drop it off tomorrow morning" He said before saying goodbye and once again, leaving through the door with a wave and a smile. 

That was really the most interesting thing that happened that night, apart from Matthew getting sprayed in the face with water while trying to fill up a mop bucket. "I swear he's hopeless" whispered Mark as he wiped the benches with a damp cloth, laughing as we watched him drying his hair with a hand towel. 

After walking home with Matthew, I said a quick goodnight to my parents and fell asleep in my uniform almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Work sucks.

Even better, it was same the next day. 

And the week after that.

"Ugh I'm so over it." I groaned, falling into a deep sleep

.                    .                   .

It was Friday, and I knew Noah wasn't going to school because he's just as much of a lazy fuck as I am. So I pulled out my phone and found our group chat.

(K: Kaitlyn, B: Benji, N: Noah, T: Travis, NTH: Nathan, O: Oliver

(K: Kaitlyn, B: Benji, N: Noah, T: Travis, NTH: Nathan, O: Oliver.)

K: Oi you going today??

N: Its Friday, we have double math. What do you think...

K: Well good, I need to do something apart from school and work

B: I'm down, where are we going?

T: Who cares, anywhere but that hell hole

O: Well, unlike you guys, I'm actually gonna go. I have art today.

T: Have fun art freak, we'll bust you out before double math. Sound good?

O: Yeah okay

K: Now that that's sorted, what are we gonna do?

NTH: No idea, you guys can meet at my house and we'll decide then while Oliver's still at school if you want.

B: Sounds good XD

N: See you guys there in 10?

K: Yeah cya then Xx

T: Kk bye

NTH: Byeee

With that, I shoved my phone into the pocket of my jeans and snatched my backpack off the counter. "See you when I get home, Mum!"

"Have fun at school, hun!" she replied as I rushed out the front door and sprinted down the street towards Nathans house. 

As I passed the salad bar I worked at, Matthew was putting out rubbish on the corner before any customers showed up. "You better not be skipping school again, little miss" he said sternly, but still with a childish grin. I slowed my pace and walked beside him back to the shop front. "Says you" I answered sassily with a grin. "Nah, just drop out like I did. It isn't wagging if you don't go to school anyway" He said, grinning knowing he was winning our little debate. "Whatever" I sighed, shaking my head before waving goodbye and started running again. As I passed, Matthew yelled out to someone in the shop. "Yo Alex, look who's wagging school today!" I heard him yell from a distance. I quickly looked back over my shoulder to see Matthew and the pretty boy with dark hair and nice skin laughing as I raced off. I flipped them off in a joking manner before disappearing around the corner. 

'Looks like that Alexander guy got hired in the end' I noted to myself as I approached Nathans house, soon greeted by my friends who were already there and watching some Netflix show. 

"Morning, my girl" greeted Travis, ruffling my hair as Noah let me in, which back fired as I grabbed his wrist and got him into a headlock. "Good morning to you too, my guy" I giggled and released him. "You tricky bitch" He smiled, shaking his head. "That's me!"

We joined everyone else and sat in a circle on the living room floor like we always do, even when we were kids. These guys and I go really far back, kindergarten back even. 

It started when I moved next door to Noah when I was 4, and we soon became close. Then Noah met Benji and I met Oliver. Soon Travis and Nathan came along until we were just one big group who grew up together. I still remember how happy we all were when we found out we all got into the same class in 4th grade. I remember it like it was the best day of my life.

"Okay idiots, whats the plan" asked Benji. 

"Well, I'm down to go get nachos and Nathans girlfriend said she can get us into the roller skating rink for free" Said Nathan with a suggestive shrug.

"Sounds good, but what should we do until Oliver's art session is over?" I questioned, mostly looking at Noah because everyone knows he's the smarter one when it comes to planning stuff.

He looked back at me and shrugged, "Netflix?"

Everyone agreed and we all got cosy.

Today was definably gonna be better then the last week of fucking painful boredom. 

(( Hi there reader! Leave a vote? Maybe a comment?? I don't mind haha xx New chapters out soon ))