Chapter 4: Worry

En başından başla

It's not like something is going to happen.

I clenched my fists.

Right?

I began to think about it. What if something did happen? What if Peridot were to leave? That didn't make any sense. She imprinted on me. She was practically always and always would be deeply in love with me. I would have to be the one to leave. I wouldn't do that, would I? What if I did?

I did that with her, not with someone else. I felt panicked. We weren't married. She hadn't proposed either. We weren't officially declared as together forever. There was still a possibility that one of us could leave. There was always that possibility, but it seemed that marriage would seal the together forever. I pushed my hair away from my face and grunted. Why did it have to be like this? Why was I so stressed out? Peridot was my imprint! She wouldn't just give up on this.

She wouldn't have the guts to do that, right? She wouldn't, right?

I leaned back with my head on the wall and let out a frustrated growl. I just wanted to stop worrying about this. It seemed so unnecessary with everything else that sealed us together. Peridot had said that imprints didn't always have to be lovers though. They could just be friends if they liked. It was just that being lovers was more common for imprints because that imprint declared that they were perfect for each other. I needed to stop worrying. This was dumb.

"Lapis?" I heard Peridot's muffled voice from the hallway.

I didn't respond.

"Are you alright?" Peridot asked. "You've been in there for a while. I'm worried about you."

"Don't," I growled.

"What's wrong?" Peridot asked. "Why are you upset?"

"I'm just scared, okay?" I answered. "It's nothing."

"It's something," Peridot said. "Don't make me knock down this door."

"Why do you always have to know?!" I cried. "Why can't you just shut up?!"

She didn't respond. I covered my mouth and gasped.

"...c-can you open the door, please?" I heard Peridot ask.

I slowly stood up and opened the door, holding the towel tightly on my chest. Peridot looked down at me, visibly upset and visibly worried.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I didn't mean to—"

Peridot pulled me in and kissed me. I sighed.

"It's alright," she said. "Just calm down. I only want to know what's wrong so I can help you."

"That makes sense," I replied.

"What's bothering you?" Peridot asked.

"I'm just worried that something's going to happen to us," I answered.

"You think I'm going to break up with you, don't you?" Peridot asked. "I would never do that, Lapis. I wouldn't be able to stand seeing you so hurt."

"I know," I responded. "It just kinda worries me. Y-you know what we've been doing...what if we were to break up? We would have done that with each other! Not someone else!"

Peridot kissed my cheek. "I promise, I'm not going to break up with you," she said. "I will go as far to propose to you right now if it's really bugging you that much."

"No, no," I replied. "It's fine. You don't need to do that."

"What do I need to do?" Peridot asked. "What do you want to do? I want you to be happy, so tell me what you want to do."