Chapter 20-Hours on End

About an hour has passed and now we are heading back to the bus. Frank bought me ice cream, but I quickly threw it away. Way too sweet for me. "Hey, you okay?" Frank smiles softly looking down at me. I shrug stepping onto the bus. Gerard smiles at me from the table with many water bottles surrounding him.

"Hey, sweetheart! Have fun?" I nod "Yeah." He walks over quickly picking me up. "Did dad number 2 have fun?" He questioned Frank. 

"Mhm. Mikey back yet?" Gerard smiles "Yup! He has a surprise for our lovely daughter Carmen." I look at him confused and slightly ill. "Too mushy?" I almost laugh but quickly cover my mouth. I nod "Just a bit." I mumble. Gerard nods taking mental note of this. "Well then. Mikey come on out!" Gerard announced. I could still smell and hear the alcohol in his breath.

"In this box, I hold the one and only item Carmen has asked for!" Mikey smiles holding an oddly shaped box. He opens it as Ray makes trumpet noises with his mouth. I stared coming face to face with the ukulele I had my heart set out to get just 2 hours ago. I smile brightly before walking over and grabbing the uke. I mouth a 'Woah' before strumming it. I'm met with the ungodly sound of an untuned string instrument and cringe.

"Maybe we should have tuned it." Ray chuckles also cringing. I nod just simply admiring the instrument. I set it back in the box gently before sighing. "Aw, why so down kiddo?" Mikey asks setting the box on the table. I shrug not sure myself. "Would a movie and popcorn make it better?" Ray asks holding up a few movies from where he is sitting on the couch. I smile and nod grabbing Mikey's hand, suddenly feeling like he is my uncle and not just another guy on the bus. Weird how simple things can change something so huge in my mind.

"I think we should watch Pocahontas. She'd like it." Frank says holding up the movie. Gerard shakes his head "No way! We need to watch something action-packed." They argue while Mikey pops the popcorn and Ray sneaks and puts in some movie he brought out from his bunk last week. I sit on the couch watching this all happen and contently drifting in and out of a daydream.

I was floating about the clouds looking at a beautiful sky full of orange, pink, yellow, and a hint of purple. Nothing was up there except the beautiful clouds and me. The soft hum of a guitar is playing somewhere in the distance. Everything is so very calm almost like if heaven is real this is it. The clouds swirled around me causing me to laugh.

"Earth to Carmen." I shook my head and looked to the source of the voice. "Hey what were you thinking about?" Mikey asks "You were giggling and I don't think I've seen you so smiley since we went to the beach." I shrug looking at the screen which is playing an unrecognizable movie. Mikey just shrugs before turning towards the movie. I grab a few pieces of popcorn and stare off into the bunk area. 

A few minutes of staring later I jump back as I see something move in the bunk area. I look at the guys and take a mental note of who is all here. Gerard? Check. Frank and Ray? Both here. Mikey. Right next to me. Bob is at the table.. so who's back there. "Someone's here," I mumble. No one seems to hear over the loud music playing in the movie. I look back at the bunk and see something moving around again. This time I jump more and end up throwing the popcorn bowl onto the floor. "What the fuck-" Frank starts but I quickly cut him short by covering my mouth with a finger. They all look confused before I point to the back.

"There's no one back there Carmen. We're on a bus remember?" Gerard says calmly. I shake my head before crawling across and sitting on his lap. "I saw them this time. I saw them move." I whisper. He goes wide-eyed before standing up and setting me on the couch. "It's okay. You're probably just seeing things." He smiles before going back to the bunk area. "See there's nothing back here!" He calls before there are a crashing sound and a groan. "Gerard?" Frank asks getting up and heading back. Everything went quiet. Mikey followed by Ray and Bob head back to the back leaving me all alone in the front. I get up slowly and quietly walk until I'm in the doorway. "Gerard?" I ask quietly. "Can one of you turn on the light?" I mumble but there is no answer.

I stand there for what seems like hours before I run in and quickly turn on a light shutting my eyes quickly. When I open them there is no one around I look around confused. "Gerard?" I mumble. I walk through the bunks and head to the practice room. I stood in front of the door for a few minutes before pushing it open. I'm quickly attacked by the 5 tickle monsters I live with.

"Oh god, Carmen you were right! There was something back here! The tickle monsters!" Frank laughs causing the rest of us to do the same. "No more."I laugh breathlessly trying to pry everyone's hands away. Ray quickly scooped me up and ran to the front of the bus. "I'll save you, princess!" I giggle "My knight in shining armor."

The rest of the night went on as if nothing happened. We watched a few movies, got ready for bed, and ended up sleeping around 2 am. Frank and Gerard tucked me in before they headed off to bed leaving me to sleep.