8 : The Tournament of War

Nota and I, after a long day of training, awoke to the day of the tournament. I convinced Deltul to stay with Grilop, and though he didn't understand why exactly, he understood it was serious and didn't ask questions. It was not easy parting with him, for I knew the likelihood of my demise was almost certain.

Outside of the Queen's arena, a massive coliseum-like structure, we found a line of dragons entering from the side. They were the other Sulona Champions. We landed behind the line, and followed them inside the prep room. Dragons of gigantic sizes were readying themselves for battle, securing armor to themselves and tying blades to their tails to make them even more deadly.

We were easily the weakest two of the group, which didn't surprise me in the slightest. I resisted the urge to vomit due to the anxiety and fear that continued to well up inside me.

One green dragon jumped out of the chaos and spotted us. "Hey there, you guys in the right place?" He grinned.

Nota, thankfully not as petrified as I was, quickly answered "Are you sure your in the right place, green-bean?"

"Ouch." He chuckled and walked over. I don't know what Nota was saying, this dragon looked extremely muscular even though he was just slightly bigger than us. I quickly felt intimidated, and avoided eye contact. "I was told a few dragons here were supposed to be killed, but I didn't think Hyla would send females into public execution."

"I don't intend on dying." Nota replied through her teeth.

"I don't think any of us are." He cocked his head to the side, his smile growing wider. "I'm Kintes, by the way."

"Nota." She narrowed her eyes with a grin. "And this is Zepth."

"Well, good luck to you Nota and Zepth." He slipped on a gold helmet, fiery red mane poking through the top. "There are some pretty good fighters we're up against. I'll be sure to leave some for you two."

He flashed his white canines in another quick grin before returning to finish getting ready. The audience outside quieted, as a male made an announcement...

       "Attention!" A powerful, black-scaled male flared his mighty wings and his voice boomed, causing the audience to quiet

"Attention!" A powerful, black-scaled male flared his mighty wings and his voice boomed, causing the audience to quiet. King Vehest, ruler of the Blatua Kingdom, was no question both respected and feared. "Welcome, welcome all!

"Let this tournament mark the end of this terrible war, and bring peace to both our lands. Let the strongest prevail, and good luck to all of our champions!"

The crowd erupted with an enthusiastic cheer, and a cannon fired. The gates of both prep rooms lifted, allowing one dragon from each room to enter the sandy arena.

With a powerful thud, the iron gates fell down once more. The first two champions were stuck together.

 The first two champions were stuck together