Chapter Twenty-Two

"D-84!" a leading Hydra agent said. "Stand down!"

"That's not my name," I said quietly, unsheathing a knife in each hand.

He didn't hear me. "What?"

"I said, that's not my name." I threw the knife and it stuck in his chest. More agents took his place, but none lived for long. 

As I released the twentieth or so blade, a sharp pain pierced through my skull. I collapsed on the floor and became invisible, letting the others fight around me. 

"D-84, good to see you," a voice in my head said. I felt like I'd heard it before, but I couldn't remember where. "Metaphorically, of course. I think you'll be interested to know that we know everything you do, everywhere you go, everything that we need to take down you and the Avengers. You can't stop us, and I wouldn't bother trying. We've already gathered all the information we need. Your nightmares told us that." The pain disappeared as quickly as it came. 

I teleported to the roof, away from the fight. The Hydra agents were disappearing quickly and the Avengers were taking care of those that were left. 

I noticed something flying through the air in the distance. It was too large to be a bird and too small to be an airplane. As it flew over another building, I teleported there and knocked it from the air. 

"What the heck?" it said. 

I recognized it. "Henry?"

"Ye-wait, no. What?" Henry brushed himself off and the wings disappeared. 

"You have some explaining to do." I punched him in the face, effectively knocking him out. 

I pulled out my cell phone and dialed Kathy's number.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"Can you meet me at the infirmary?" I asked. "I found something that, uh, well, just meet me there." I hung up and teleported there. 

Kathy showed up a few minutes later. "Delta? What happened?"

"Well, did you know that Henry could fly?"

"What?"

"Neither did I." I stepped to the side, unobscuring her view.

"I swear..." she said. 

"Let him explain when he wakes up."

"He better wake up soon or--"

Henry snapped awake. "What the--Kathy?"

"Explain. Now," she said.

"It's a long story."

"We have time." Kathy pulled up a chair. 

"There are these people called Inhumans," Henry started. "It's a genetic thing. A few years ago, I discovered I was one of them, and I got these." A pair of wings that nearly filled the room appeared from out of his back. "Inhumans have been hunted, so I try to stay out of the light as much as possible."

Kathy was silent. 

"Don't just stare at me," he said desperately. 

"I don't know what else to do," Kathy said. 

"I have to go," I said. "You two figure things out over dinner or something." I tossed Kathy Stark's credit card and walked back to my room.

When I looked in the mirror, I noticed that the scar behind my ear had flared. That's how they did it, I thought. 

"Are you alright?" Loki asked. I hadn't heard him open the door.

"I'm fine," I said, quickly covering the scar with my hair. "'Just took a bad hit in the fight. It's nothing huge."

"We're doing another movie night if you wanted to come."

"Sure." We walked down to the theatre. Pietro and Wanda had taken the corner where Loki and I usually sat, so we found a new couch away from the argument about if Jane or Pepper was better and more successful. 

What surprised me the most was when Kathy and Henry walked in hand in hand and laughing about something. 

"Did you two get things worked out?" I asked Kathy.

"Yeah," she said. "Can we stay for movie night?"

"Totally," I said. "Find a seat. I think Stark stopped arguing about his girlfriend long enough to pick a movie, but you never know." 

Kathy and Henry laughed and went to find a seat. 

"What happened to them?" Loki asked. 

"Henry turned out to be an Inhuman superhero thing, Kathy found out and got really mad, and I'm guessing that they're good now and back to dating."

"When did this happen?"

"An hour ago." I leaned my head against Loki's shoulder as the title came on screen. 

"Don't let Hydra hurt you, okay?" Loki said. 

"They won't."

"Yes, they will, love. You aren't invincible."

"They still can't kill me."

"But they can try," Loki said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "And I don't want you to even be hurt."

"I won't be."

"Just promise me."

"Alright," I said, "I promise."