Chapter Eighteen

The next day, I was assigned the job of taming the two Hydra experiments since I apparently knew what they'd been through. Not really, but whatever. 

We'd timed it where the speedster would wake up about half an hour before his sister, hopefully giving me enough time to get him on our side. He was due to wake up any minute now. 

"Where's Wanda?" he asked when he woke up. He had an accent that I recognized as Eastern European. 

"If Wanda is the other enhanced, then she's safe next door," I said. "Unconscious, but safe here."

"Where's here?"

"I don't think you'd like it if I told you."

"Try me."

"Fine, but you have to promise to give me a chance to explain before you go all haywire on me."

"Deal."

"Alright," I said. "You're at Avengers tower." He stood up, fire in his eyes. "Sit down. You promised."

"I should not have."

"But you did." I started to speak in Ukranian. "You hate Stark because of a traumatizing event that killed your parents, pravy'no?"

"Right."

"I don't like Stark anymore than you do, but even if those shells were controlled by him, he has changed. Not much in the way of ego, but his values on war have shifted. For your own sake, try to hate him less."

"What do you mean, 'for your own sake'?"

"I'm saying that if Stark sees you as a threat before you get out of this room, you and your sister will not be his priority when the next threat attacks."

"We can take care of yourselves."

"I sincerely doubt that." I stood up to leave. "I'm on your side, you know."

I left but continued to observe him in the one-sided window. At first, he was confident. He searched the room for a way out but found none. Then, he began to panic. I let him freak out for a few minutes before walking back through the door. 

"You said you were on my side, is that true?" he asked.

"It's not false."

"Good. Now let me out of here."

I turned the handle on the door. "Before you do, know that I will kill you without hesitation if you harm anyone I love. Just a warning." I opened the door, and he went to the window of the room next to his, where his sister was. 

"Why isn't she awake?"

"I still need to talk to her. Separately. She should wake up in a few minutes." I opened the door and left him outside. 

Wanda woke up and basically tried to kill me immediately. "Where is Pietro?" she asked with her wishy-washy red magic stuff about to choke the life out of me.

"So that's his name? He's fine." She released me from the weird magic-y-ness. "I have an offer for you."

"What?"

"We need your help. In the next attack, you would be a fantastic member of the team. Pietro can fill you in on the rest if you agree."

"Did he agree?"

"Willingly."

"Fine." I was about to open the door when I told her the same thing I told her brother. "I will kill you and your brother without hesitation if you harm anyone I love. Just a warning." I opened the door and left her and Pietro to celebrate the reunion.