14 | career

A/N

we're officially in japan! tbh after writing this part, i've become much more curious about exploring japanese culture in future books, so keep an eye open for that ;)

there's quite a lot of foreshadowing here. this chapter was at first much longer, but it has been split into two parts, this one being the first. i hope you guys enjoy it!

the next chapter is....one you should look forward to :)))

take care,

krissy

❦

"KORE O FUTATSU," says Bongsoo in Japanese, then shoots the nodding waiter a grin as the latter darts off with the orders.

I tilt my head with approving surprise. "You're fluent."

"Yep." He smiles at me while rubbing his hands together excitedly. "I went to college in Japan. You know how Jungkookie's fluent? We joke in Japanese all the time...you know, make a joke or two about Woobin when things get stressful."

Jungkookie. A wry smile curls my lips. "And these jokes are all work-appropriate, huh?"

"Oh, yes, definitely. No doubt."

I laugh. "Alright."

Tatsu Ramen is tucked into the bustling, gold-lit alleys of Tokyo--outside, telephone wires snake overhead as skinny complexes, crooked noodle shops, and shopping outlets rise away from traffic into a bleary sky that promises cold rain. Bongsoo and I sit side by side at a dim-lit wooden bar as chefs and servers call out orders within plumes of steam. Wind sweeps in from the cloth panels at the entrance, thick with scents of ramen broth and savory pork.

We arrived in Tokyo, Japan only hours ago, and the dinner rush of Monday night proves to be busy. Our luggages are safe within the separate hotel rooms reserved at the hotel down the street.

Bongsoo releases a sigh of satisfaction as his eyes wander around the noodle shop, as if drinking in familiar details. I pull in a deep, calming breath, allowing my body to relax. Minseok and Jaeseok are miles away. Event preparation doesn't begin until tomorrow morning. Namjoon and Jimin have arranged to meet for drinks and dessert in an hour.

For once, I can forget about all our deeper troubles.

Our noodles arrive quickly. Halfway into the meal, Bongsoo shoots me a curious glance. "You okay, sunbae? You've been tense."

"Hm?" Slurping up the noodles hanging out of my mouth, I wipe the broth from my lips. "I'm not tense."

"You don't have to pretend. Look, you can tell me. It's about Seo Minseok, huh? You're not sure you made the right decision breaking up with him, you..."