Advice

The bar was run down, barely anybody went there unless their car was broken down. The Howling Commandos chose the bar for this very reason, enabling them to discuss the most secretive army efforts.

"I just don't get what he sees in her. Somebody needs to explain," Bucky complained, taking a long swig of his drink.

"She's the first beautiful dame to lay an eye on him," Falsworth replied.

"Nobody asked your opinion," he mumbled. The men laughed in unison, nudging Bucky around.

The men returned to their tents. Falsworth slept, as Bucky and Dugan sat in the middle of the tent, talking.

"The idiot doesn't understand I love him," a sarcastic laugh escaped his lips, "Shit. I sound like a teenage girl."

"He either knows and is making you jealous, or doesn't know and is pursuing other interests. Agent Carter isn't too bad looking herself."

"But he's known me longer and I'm definitely more attractive..." Bucky pouted.

"Hey," Dugan leaned back in his chair, "I don't curve that way."

"Yeah yeah," he laughed. "Is the whole base infatuated with Peggy?"

"Except for you. Captain Rogers is the only one who has the smallest chance with her."

"No idea why though," Bucky groaned. "She's rude."

"You're my good friend, Jimmy, but I think that's your mind playing tricks on you. Agent Carter is a good, polite woman. She's only 'rude' if somebody treats her worse beforehand."

"Nope."

"Dugan, Barnes, Captain Rogers suggests you both be in bed at this hour. I do apologize for breaking up your chat, but Captain's orders," the woman of the hour said kindly, knocking on the wooden piece of the tent before opening the flap.

"Right away. Thank you for transmitting the message, ma'am," Dugan smiled, giving Bucky a look.

"What makes the captain so busy he can't tell us himself?" Bucky spoke, venom in his voice.

"I understand you're used to being close to Captain Rogers at all times, Sergeant Barnes, but he has duties," Peggy said carefully.

Bucky stood. "Don't say you understand when you don't, Agent Carter."

"Barnes, I never meant to upset you, I just-"

"You and Stark are making Steve a big superstar now, I get it, but you're giving him such star treatment that he isn't even permitted to tell me to get my sorry ass in bed?"

"Jimmy, it's alright, just calm down," said Dugan.

"No! Because no matter how much of a romance you and Steve have, Agent Carter, I was the one who put a roof over his head, clothes on his back, food in his stomach and pencils in his art set for years. I helped shape his morals, the same ones that likely made him Captain America this very day. You get to see him all day every day lately, but me? I barely see him. After all these years you'd think I'd be sick of him. I'm not. I still care about him with every bone in my body. But you?" The small laugh he let escape was strangely dark, "You don't matter to me. So I'm going to bed now. Not because you said to, but because Steve suggested it. Goodnight."

Peggy searched Bucky's eyes, but found nothing. Swiftly, she exited the area of Howling Commando tents.

"Damn, Jimmy. You either really hate her, or really love Rogers. Maybe both."

Bucky smiled, turning to face Dugan.

"I wish Rogers heard that speech," Dugan commented, taking his hat off to go to bed.

"Too mushy," Bucky said. "I had better go get some rest. Make good on the end of that speech."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Bucky's cloud of good energy quickly faded when he realized something. Steve would not react positively if he heard any small part of that conversation Bucky had just pursued. He was in deep trouble with both Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers.