Pity

He was gasping for breath, cheeks stained with dry and fresh tears. Bucky choked on his sobs, whimpering.
Steve held Bucky's arm, whispering calming words to his best friend. He was terrified, having never seen Bucky cry this hard.
Clint searched the cabinets for tea, occasionally looking over at the two of them. Finally, he found it. He grabbed three mismatched mugs and held them under the cool water of the sink. He placed them in the microwave with tea bags and waited.
"Bucky, please," Steve whispered, running his shaking fingers through Bucky's hair.
"Stevie." Bucky choked out his reply as his bottom lip trembled.
"What's wrong?"
"The war. I had to leave you. You couldn't take care of yourself. The serum's effects. I was afraid you weren't yourself. That I couldn't protect you from the big bad world anymore."
"Oh."

'Did it hurt?'
'A little.'
'Is it permanent?'
'So far.'

"I'm fine, though."
"No, Steve, you're not. I am your emotional problem. Hydra, as much as I hate it, didn't use me for my abilities. They used me to hurt you. I was supposed to be the one to make sure you weren't hurt," Bucky said, voice going from whispering to shouting then back again.
"You're way stronger than I am."
"NO! No friggin' pity."
Steve sighed as Bucky searched his eyes.
"Just kiss already," Clint said, putting the Mickey Mouse mug and Christmas mug on the glass coffee table in front of them. He held the vintage Captain America cup to his lips and smirked.
"Clint," Steve said, sternly.
He laughed, eyes twinkling. "What? You were holding hands."
"Are all the Avengers this bossy?" Bucky asked, his voice making a recovery.
"Hey!" Clint pouted.
"Not Bruce," Steve said.
"You're avoiding my comment," Clint remarked.
Steve looked up at him, repeating his name in the same stern tone.
"Fine, oldies."
"The Avengers are definitely not improving your sense of humor," Bucky said, laughing.
"So you're okay?" Steve questioned, dismissing Bucky's comment.
"I'll be fine."
Steve smiled, putting an arm around Bucky and taking a sip from the Christmas mug.
Bucky leaned into Steve's side and pulled a blanket over the two of them.
"So, Clint, how did you just happen to be in the area?" Steve asked.
"Since somebody found out about Hydra in S.H.I.E.L.D, I've been wandering with Nat," Clint replied, "Nat was watching him." He motioned to Bucky, who was now fast asleep.
"How come?"
"He came and attacked her a few nights ago. She wanted to know if you were okay."
"Slow down there. What?"
"It was about 4 AM like, 2 or 3 days ago and I was asleep. Nat and I were in hiding, and your boyfriend here skips in wearing your shirt or something and jeans, grabbing Nat by the neck. I got up and got him off, then he just sprinted out."
Steve looked down at Bucky, his eyelashes brushing the skin on his tan cheeks, brown hair falling across his eyes. He returned his gaze to Clint.
"Clint?"
"Yeah?"
"Tell Natasha to stop following us and you stop as well."
"It's our safety."
"He won't hurt you."
"Steve, he already did."
"I won't believe it."
"Do you want to see Nat's bruises?"
"No, Clint, I don't! If they even exist."
"What are you implying?!"
"You know damn well."
"Fine. Maybe your brainwashed friend is brainwashing you," Clint snapped, slamming his mug down and storming out the door.
Bucky's eyes fluttered open, "Hawk-guy leaving so soon?"
Steve unclenched his jaw and plastered a smile on. "Yeah, he had somewhere to be."
"Mmm." Bucky mumbled, already drifting off again. "G'night, Stevie."
Steve looked at the clock. 7:30 AM.
"Good night, Buck," he chuckled.
As Bucky slept, Steve watched him. He studied his features, his hair since pulled out from the ponytail, the lips, the hands strewn across his lap.
"A picture will last you longer, Rogers," Bucky smirked, eyes still closed.
"Yeah, yeah, just sleep."
"Nah," he bit his lip, "I'd much rather talk to you, punk."
Bucky, eyes still closed, grabbed Steve's hand and put it over his heart.
"You're the reason this sucker is still beating."
"I'm the reason you almost died," Steve whispered.
"Hey." Bucky opened his eyes. "If I didn't fall, I might not be with you right now. And don't beat yourself up for it. If I was mad I would've finished you off a while ago."
"I'll keep that in mind."
Bucky grinned.