Chapter Thirty-Four

Bắt đầu từ đầu

There was a flash as the wards in the house recognized a new and unfamiliar person entering and then Hermione arrived on time for their appointment.

Regina took a few moments to study the woman as she centered herself from the long distance Portkey. Her face was dirty and her hair was messy. Her clothes were torn. And she appeared thinner than the last time.

When Hermione's face showed that she was aware of her surroundings, Regina steeled her face into business.

"Welcome to the Fawley Town House, Miss Granger. Until which time that we come to an understanding, the location of this home shall remain a secret. If we come to an understanding, I will reveal the house to you. I trust that the trip did not make you too sick?" she asked.

Hermione who was a little out of sorts shook her head.

"No, Miss Fawley," she replied.

"Good," Regina replied. She directed Hermione to a comfortable pair of chairs where two warm steaming cups of tea sat.

"Please sit and have a drink. I strongly encourage you to drink the tea. It will calm you after the long journey. I shall provide you with an herb for the return trip. You will not hurt my feelings if you choose to check the tea for anything magical that might harm you. But if we come to an arrangement, I would hope you would never do so again."

Hermione took out her wand. Regina made no move to retrieve it from her nor did the house around her and she checked the tea. Then, she drank. Regina got up smoothly and grabbed a quilt from a corner in the room and covered Hermione up gently. Then, the two remained silent as Hermione looked around and drank the tea.

When the tea was finished, Regina turned to face her.

"I believe that we should get down to business. Do you wish to gain the protection of the Ancient and Noble House of Fawley?"

Hermione who seemed to feel some form of negotiation took a moment and clearly looked uncomfortable. She knew this was why she had suffered so much to get here and be here. Did she show her usual stubbornness or ask for better terms?

Regina seemed to understand her line of thought, because she said.

"The terms of my protection are this. As my ally and vassal, you will tell me everything about the Order, especially the Headmaster. You will obey me as Head of House in all things without question. You will place all others, even husband or wife or children beneath me. You will speak an oath of fealty to me"

Regina let that sink in before she continued.

"I always feel that what I expect of myself is greater than what I demand," she said with a smirk.

"On my end," she continued, "I will provide you with what we both agree to be sufficient means of shelter and protection should you be in any danger. I will take oaths that state that I will do no harm to you unless you break your oath to me. I shall offer you and your chosen spouse and children the opportunity of education, even at Hogwarts without fear of the Ministry's Registration for Muggleborns. Am I missing anything?"

Hermione thought long and hard. "I believe that you covered everything. But I am curious, before I accept what you will be asking of me?"

Regina smiled. "First, a show of loyalty by betraying the Order's plans, second the oath of fealty, third you will submit to my chosen method of marking you – all these things I would expect tonight. As time moves forward, you will return to the Order until they strike their blow or I strike, you will do anything I ask to ensure success of the strike – which could include murder – "