Chapter 19 - Hope

Mighty protector

Char watched Taylor select a range of fruit, nodding as she presented each one for inspection. Char selected a pear-shaped fruit with a smooth, pale yellow skin. "Yargg, good for long walks, helps keep you full. Good energy."

Taylor emptied her small armful of fruit onto the grass, then sat down and began to eat.

Char lowered himself down beside her and selected a Yargg. He twisted off the stem, then bit off half of it and started to chew. "Only small seeds, you can eat whole. Very easy fruit to eat."

Taylor nodded, and bit into a Yargg. "Nice, kind of like an eggplant with a hint of lemon."

Char popped the rest of the Yargg into his mouth and chewed slowly, looking off into the trees.

Taylor finished off the fruit and wiped her mouth. "Char, I've been meaning to ask you something."

Char finished chewing, swallowed and nodded. "What would you like to know?"

Taylor lifted the walking stick and held the thin end out with one hand. She poked at the grass in front of her and let the top of the stick drop into her lap. "Char, where are we going?"

"We are lost," said Char.

"I know that. But I thought you might have come across something familiar by now."

Char frowned. "We ran very far, many directions. Up, down hills. I do not remember path, just running. I am sorry."

Taylor nodded. "So what do we do if we never get back?"

Char sat silent for a few moments. "We eat, we talk, we learn. If we do not find the village, we make a new home."

"Huh," said Taylor. "That's pretty passive."

"Illiya are not aggressive, accept what comes," said Char.

Taylor lifted the top of the stick from her lap and rolled it in her hand. "I don't think I would agree with that, you lot were quite scary when we first got here."

Char shrugged. "Illiya, protectors of life. When your people killed Illiya, there was anger, yes."

Taylor nodded. "Makes sense, I guess."

"Illiya fight, to protect. Not... weak."

Taylor looked up at him. "But you don't care if we never find the village? Because we can eat, and live, and walk around forever?"

"Illiya do much walking, talking to trees. Village is a gathering place. Some Illiya walk for a long time, visit other villages. Some come around many times, tell stories, share."

Taylor leaned forward. "There are other villages? Other Illiya?"

Char nodded. "Many Illiya, all over the planet. Also many Aarden. Much life on Aeden."

Taylor twirled the end of the stick between the palms of her hands. "So if there are lots of Illiya, why haven't we seen any others yet outside of your village?"

Char shrugged. "Villages are far apart, many days walk. It is rare to see another Illiya out in the forest not from your village."

"So not all Illiya walk... visit other villages, explore?"

"No. Most Illiya stay close to the village, watch over Asook."

"Have you ever walked to other villages, Char, or explored?"

Char shook his head. "I am not many years, stay close to village."

Taylor looked at him in surprise. "How old are you, Char?"