"Hey," I heard him say closer this time and felt his arms wrap around my waist.

My heart thumped against my ribcage just as I looked down at his arms that held me close to him and then at his face that was a breath away.

These moments.

These moments will always be the moments that I will never admit enjoying so much.

When I could see every part of his face clearly, feel his breath caressing my cheeks, hear the rhythm of his heartbeat, and scrutinize the color of every speck that made up his eyes.

He gulped and looked away, withdrawing his arms from around me gradually.

"I'm-"

I reached out for them and hooked them around my body again, as it was my turn to look away.

Not tonight.

Slowly, I leaned against his chest, releasing a shaky breath, and closed my eyes.

I was instantly filled with warmth from the outside and on the inside.

He smelled of lavender, the kind of scent that was usually from candles, and faintly of cigarettes.

My hand was still placed on his arms when he moved them farther around my body, pulling me closer to him, as his once tensed muscles relaxed.

We remained in the same position for a while, and I tried to capture every scent and feeling and trap it in a box, before pulling away.

I cleared my throat and turned around, meeting his soft stare, "Cookie?" I offered, raising the half eaten cookie to his face.

He smiled and shook his head.

I nodded, looking away and, for once, hoping he would say something to cut the silence.

To my relief, he did.

"Shall we sit down?"

I nodded and spun around to carry the cookie jar, before holding it close to my chest and following him.

His eyes fell back on me then traveled to the jar as he chuckled.

"What? I love cookies," I whispered, taking a seat in front of him.

And I need something to nibble on to calm my nerves.

The playfulness that hung in the air not a few minutes earlier was entirely gone, and instead, it was replaced with comfortable silence.

And the crunch of the cookies in my mouth.

He cleared his throat, drawing my attention to him, "So, I tried to postpone asking this question for a while now, but I'm going to explode if I don't do it."

My heart dropped as I held the cookie limply in my mouth.

Please don't ask that question. Please don't ask that question. Please don't ask that question. Pl-

"What did you see last night?"

Oh.

Relief and unexpected disappointment flooded through me simultaneously as I looked down at my cookie.

"Um," I said, trying to silence the bullying of my conscience.

What else did you think he was going to ask you? Look at yourself in the mirror and remember who you actually are, Black.

I cleared my throat, "I didn't see anything," I finally replied.

"Josephine, just tell me."

"I am." I looked up at him again, "I am. I didn't see anything--or anyone. I thought I saw someone, but I didn't," I whispered the last part.