XLVIII

"Are we there yet?" I asked for the thousandth time as we stopped for the thousandth time.

"Yes, finally, I have had enough whining. I don't even know why I am still doing this!"

Ignoring his remark, I pulled the scarf away from my eyes, blinking as my vision was filled with a dozen black spots.

I squinted at where we stood, recognizing the place immediately.

"The coffee shop?"

It was closed by now, but the lights inside were still on.

I grew excited as I looked at him and his smug face, imagining how it looked on the inside; my mind taking me to cute dates I had read when the guy puts lights all over the place and surprises the girl.

He stepped to the door and opened it, allowing me to walk in first, then walked in and closed the door.

I looked around, and the images in my head went down the drain.

It looked exactly the same except for the fact that the tables in the middle were pushed to the wall, creating an empty space.

"Oh."

"Oh?" he furrowed his eyebrows. "My self-esteem is really going downhill because of you. I thought you loved this place!"

I chuckled, "I do!" I paused and searched my mind for non-offending remarks, "I do...you just took me by surprise," I said slowly, scrutinizing his facial expressions.

He squinted.

I moved my arms in the air, opening my mouth then closing it, "I just thought when we were outside that I was going to walk in and find fairy lights and candles, you know, like the movies and all."

I looked at my arms then placed my hands in the pockets of my jeans and smiled sheepishly, as he squinted further.

"What Disney movie do you think this is and how romantic do you think I am?!" he asked, causing the smile on my lips to widen, "At least fake compliment me. My ego needs a boost."

I dropped the smile on my face and tried to put on the blankest expression I could muster, "I don't do fake compliments."

He looked at me blankly too, crossing his arms over his chest, and it suddenly felt like a challenge of who could keep the blankest expression.

I sighed, cracking a smile and giving in, as he raised his eyebrows and drummed his fingers on one of his arms, his pose telling me that he could do this all day.

He looked like a mad mother.

I surpassed laughing at my thoughts and cleared my throat, "This is the best date ever!" I squealed, smiling widely.

He sighed dramatically, his shoulder sagging, and smirked, "Much better."

I shook my head.

"You told me to fake it though," I added loud enough for him to hear me and walked to the counter where the usually empty cookie jar sat, though right now it was filled halfway. I opened it and took one out.

"I think I decided which personality I like on you better."

Although I knew he didn't mean anything hurtful, the smile on my face slowly dropped as I munched down on the cookie.

Two names, two personalities, and one body.

"I was kidding," he said a few moments later, his tone losing the hint of playfulness.

I nodded, not turning to face him, as I willed myself to not fall down into that hole again.

Not tonight.