Chapter 30

Jesse ~

Fern sits beside me with her cheek pressed against my sweater and her hair flying in every direction. Her small arms are wrapped tightly around my neck as she watches Link rock back and forth on his heels.

"Hey look..thanks for the invite but I rather not,I'll be over in my room. G'night Fernie."

He walks out of the room before I hear the front door slam and the house goes quiet.

Fern shifts and then pulls away before looking at me with a lopsided smile.

I press my lips to hers for a short second before remembering that we have company.

Fallon looks up with a huge smile," Did you see that! They were about to fucking kiss!"

Fern starts giggling and kisses my cheek.

"Well guess what? I just did it again!" Fern laughs and Fallon starts what i can only describe as spazzing uncontrollably. I am not quite sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing just as yet.

"Well if you guys are done," Aleks coughs," I would like to maybe go on that picnic soon..Not to intrude or anything."

Fern stops laughing and grabs my hand; pulling me towards the kitchen

She hands me the picnic basket and then hauls out a huge blanket from the cupboard beside her.

"Here let me take that," I laugh and hand her the light picnic basket.

She hands me the blanket and we make our way back to the others.

Fallon and Aleks fall quiet as we enter and I immediately fell awkward.

"You ready?" Fallon asks with a smile.

A genuine smile.

"Yup," Fern replies lifting up the basket.

....

"Where are you taking us, Fern?" Aleks groans.

We've been walking for a long time and no matter how long we pleaded she wouldn't even utter a single sound.

"It's sorta a surprise..." she trails off and begins running up a really steep hill. Not another one..

"Come on guys!" she giggles as she reaches the top." You guys need to see this!"

We all groan once more before running up the hill reluctantly.

We reach a fairly flat area of land and I flop down onto the ground.

"Oh god...that's enough exercise for me," I sigh and roll over onto my back.

Fern jumps on top of me and shakes me until i open my eyes.

"Jesse...you are not missing this sunset. Do you understand me?"

I nod and she giggles before pulling me up with her and walking back over to where she lay out the picnic blanket.

I flop down beside Aleks and gesture for Fern to lie beside me.

She rests her head on my chest as the sun slowly dips behind a strangely thick layer of dark grey clouds.

"Guys...I think it's going to rain real bad..." Fallon sighs propping herself up on her elbows.

"Don't be so pessimistic. It'll be fine," Fern scoffs but behind her voice I can hear her disappointment.

As if on cue a few drops of rain settle on Fern's cheek.

She groans before sitting up and gathering everything in her tiny arms.

"I told ya'" Fallon chuckles as grabs the blanket from Fern.

Fern sighs once more before her eyes light up and she jumps up and down.

"We can make hot chocolate!" Fern squeals.

Aleks laughs and Fallon joins in.

We begin making our way back to the house and it starts pouring terribly.

The rain soon mixes with the wind and thunder soon ties in as well.

....

After I help Fern set up the fire place and dry up a little bit we all settle down near the TV. The house remains silent except for the heavy sound of raindrops falling against the roof and windows.

The silence is soon broken by the sound of the phone ringing.

Fern groans before standing up at getting the phone.

"Hello?" she says into the receiver as she walks into the hallway.

After a long anxious wait she returns and puts the phone back down.

"My dad said that they won't be able to make it home tonight. There's predicted floods and they aren't allowed on the roads until this all clears up," she sighs and sits beside me.

"So it looks like you're stuck with us..." I laugh and kiss her cheek.

"This isn't a good thing...what about clothes and stuff," Fern frowns.

"Oh god please don't make me wear your clothes," Fallon groans."No offense."

Fern chuckles.

"It's fine...I mean what can we do about it?" Aleks sighs.

"I guess we can quickly nip back to the main house and get some food:.. Perhaps stay there I guess.."

"Fine..." Fallon groans reluctantly moving from beside Aleks.

Fern hurries into a room to the right and comes back out with four raincoats.

They're all huge and barely fit any of us.

After switching off the fireplace and grabbing a huge pile of books (Fallon's orders (much to Aleks's liking)) we head out into the rain and across the yard towards the house.

Fern opens the door and switches on the lights,"Linkion!"

"I'm in the kitchen!" he yells back.

She tells us to settle down and moves away into the kitchen.

I take of the jacket and hang it on the rack near the door.

Fern appears with a scowl on her face and behind her a tall black haired boy follows. Link appears soon after and Fern stares at him with a look that could kill.

The room stays silent and Fern continues her death stare.

"Well seeing as we will be seeing each other a lot for the next few days," the black haired dude smiles," My name is Calder."