15. interruptions

Start from the beginning

Peeta and I are more attached than usual today. I'm even wearing one of his shirts. Maybe it was the conversation last night, or the pre-wedding grace period. It's been nice to spend some time together, Effie has been off our backs for a few days, presumably having a breakdown over Haymitch's wallpaper.

I've decided that my last name changing is a fresh start. I can be a better person, the kind of person that Prim would be proud of.

I'm doing this wedding for two reasons: Peeta and Prim. She would be the leader, organising everything to how I like it and opposing anyone who doesn't. I know she will be there, sat right at the front, beaming at me. She would wear a beautiful yellow dress, with pink primroses woven into her long blonde hair, and she would make sure I was happy before anyone else. Her selflessness is something she inherited from no one.

Peeta, he's always dreamed of a big wedding and having a family. I can't give him a family, but I can sacrifice my own preference to make him happy. There are some things I won't do, like let Effie dictate the guest list, but I'm content with letting Peeta control what happens.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" Peeta asks, scaring me half to death.

"About how we need to save spare chairs at the front row of the wedding." I say.

"Why's that?" He replies fondly.

"For Prim, Finnick, your family. They all deserve to be there."

He just stares at me tenderly. There's a long is pause.

"I'm so in love with you. I hope you know that. I still wonder why you chose me." He whispers, nuzzling his face into my ear and letting his breath linger on my neck. I take his hands, guiding him to wrap them around my shoulders. It tickles, but it feels impossibly good.

I don't object to a sappy comment.

For the first time, 'I love you' isn't awkward for me to say. "It wasn't a choice. Even if you hated me and I was with Gale, it wouldn't feel the same as this. I would've never have been able to let you go."

We don't move. There isn't any reason to. I let the loving sensation spreads through my neck all the way to through my body; warm and exhilarating.

That's until there's a knock on the door. There are always interruptions.

Peeta goes to get up but I gently push him back down.

"Stay. I'll go." I whisper hesitantly

He looks at me as if pleading for me not to leave. "There's never a moment to ourselves."

"If it's who I think it is, I'll be annoyed."

As if I'll never see him again, he lightly kisses me goodbye.

I reluctantly drag myself away from Peeta's body, and go to the door. I know exactly who it is, and they weren't supposed to come until tomorrow.

"We planned for tomorrow." I groan. "We were kind of in the middle of something."

Haymitch just rolls his eyes, but Effie takes my hands. "I just couldn't wait one second longer. It's so exciting. But what on Earth are you wearing?"

"This is Peeta's shirt and my old training leggings. Remember, I wasn't really expecting anyone." I sigh. "Is it an emergency?"

"A fashion emergency! Why are you wearing his shirt?" Effie squeals and goes to come in. Moment ruined.

"Because he's my fiancé and I'm allowed to wear whatever I want." I say. "Plus, it's my favourite and I'm not trying to impress anyone." I add sheepishly.