14. proud

These next view Chapters will be from only Katniss' POV.

I, Katniss Everdeen, am engaged.

I'm engaged to a person who makes me happy; who loves me.

That's what I keep telling myself, I'm so happy these days that I forget why.
I'm so used to the emptiness that wakes me up and keeps me awake that I treat every night that I sleep until the morning like it's last.

Peeta and I ended up telling Annie, Johanna and My Mother about the engagement, they weren't surprised. It surprised me as they all already knew, I suppose I wasn't being obvious about anything.

I haven't started the wedding planning yet. I don't want to. The thought of writing guest lists, speaking to who knows what people and being 'bridal' sounds like hell. If it was my decision, Peeta and I would already be married, a small event that was over in 10 minutes. Call me uncultured, but I want it done. I want to be a new person, the marriage itself can be special, a fancy ceremony wouldn't change anything.

Much to my dismay, Peeta wants people. He wants a nice ceremony with a cosy reception and a idealistic after party. Hearing about his wishes made me realise how much of an introvert I am. Peeta is all for planning a wedding, he loves the idea of us doing it together. But I wouldn't know a cake from a dress if it was right in front of my face.

Now I'm arriving back to the house from the woods, wondering how on Earth I'm going to deal with it.

I open the door and drop my bow and game bag on the floor, very tidily in my eyes. In Peeta's eyes, it's not. But it's my stuff, I'll do what I please.

I go to find Peeta, who's usually painting in the art room or in the baking in the kitchen in the late evenings, but he's not in either of those places.

My mind goes straight to worse case scenario. "Peeta!" I shout alarmingly, I need to know if he's okay.

"In here!" A familiar voice replies from the dining room and my heart fills with relief. No flashback, just me being paranoid.

Peeta is sat next to the age old table, and an overpowering smell of Capitol perfume almost knocks me down. There's only one person I know who would be confident enough to wear a tacky perfume.

Peeta is sat with Effie and Haymitch. She hasn't changed one bit.

"Effie?" I say, not believing it's real.

She turns around elegantly. She has definitely toned down the makeup, as instead of a huge wig she's wearing a turban around her head. (I've never known if she actually has hair.)

Despite that, Effie is wearing a leopard print blue jumpsuit, with white gloves that cover her slender hands. Her shoes are the worst part. They are a deep 'royal' blue with a 3 inch heel and a woolly ankle. Still, she looks more natural.

"Hello, my girl." Effie whispers and pulls me into a friendly embrace. As intense as she is, I hug her back and try to ignore her Capitol smell.

"How come you're here of all places?"
I ask. I've asked that question so many times since I've seen so many people again. District 12 isn't exactly a tourist attraction.

"You think that with your wedding on the horizon, I wouldn't come here ASAP to plan it? If it was just you, there wouldn't even be a dress worth wearing." Effie replies. What she's saying is completely true. I could never plan anything by myself. Still, her being her is surreal.

I roll my eyes in response. "Great."

Haymitch gives me a death glare. Since when has he cared about what Effie says? If I didn't know any better, their relationship has definitely shifted.