Chapter 3: New Tail Fin

Magsimula sa umpisa

Astrid enters the forge happily, carrying the tray of yaknog. "Hiccup? Ingrid?"

"Yeah, I'm over here, Astrid! Coming!" Hiccup answers as he grabbed a tool from the pegboard tool organizer.

"Is Ingrid here?" Astrid asks when she didn't saw or hear her cousin.

"No, I haven't seen her this morning but if I do, I'll tell her that you're looking for her." Hiccup said, noticing the beverage. "What's this?"

"Oh! This is actually why I came here for. It's my new traditional drink. Here. Happy Holidays. from me to you." Astrid said as she handed Hiccup a mug of yaknog.

"Thank you Astrid, you didn't have too." Hiccup said, a little guilty that he doesn't have a gift for her in return.

"It's no bother, we're family now." Astrid said, confusing Hiccup.

"F-family? What do you mean by... Oh..." Hiccup stops as he look at Astrid in realization. 

"Yes 'oh'." Astrid said, rather smugly before looking at the contraption at the table. "What are you up to?"

Hiccup sets his mug on the table. "Okay, you're gonna think I'm crazy, but I just couldn't stop thinking about what Tuffnut said last night." 

"I thought I told you not to listen and think about what they said." The two turn around to see Ingrid carrying a basket full of herbs.

"Hey Ingrid. Where were you this morning?" Astrid asked her cousin.

"I was just collecting herbs for Gothi. Something about an upset stomach."

"Really? I feel bad for that person. Well, I'm gonna go spread some more holiday cheer. Happy Holiday guys!" Astrid left the forge but not without giving Hiccup a look, making the boy flustered.

"What was that about?" Ingrid asks, feeling a slight pang in her chest as she noticed the look the two exchanged.

"Nothing..." Hiccup said, looking everywhere but her. Ingrid narrowed her eyes at this but let it go.

"This is a new tail for Toothless, am I correct?" Ingrid asks, changing the subject much to the pleasure of Hiccup.

"Yes. Toothless can't come and go like the other dragons, and that's just not fair. I was up all night, and I think I found a way to fix that."

Hiccup pulls a lever and a system of gears twists into life, opening and closing a tail fin. "If I built this correctly, it will mirror the movements of Toothless' right tail fin, allowing him to fly without me." Hiccup explains as he grabs the mug of yaknog and takes a drink. He coughs, eyes widening.

"That's a great gift Hiccup!" Ingrid praised, unaware of his situation.

"Hmhm..." Hiccup nodded, mouth full of yaknog. He doesn't want to swallow the disgusting substance nor does he want to spit it out in front of the cousin of the one who made it.

"Do you think that he's going to be with the other dragons when you put this on him? Or somewhere else?"

Ingrid's question got Hiccup down as he never thought of any scenarios after he put the new tail fin on Toothless.

"Hiccup?"

"Mm...?"

"What's that on your mouth?" Hiccup eyes widen at her question as he didn't know how to respond.

"You can spit it out if you really don't like it." Ingrid said, urging him to do so. Hiccup reluctantly but gratefully spit out the Yaknog.

"Don't worry. I won't tell Astrid about this."

"How did you know...?"

"Let me remind you Mr. Haddock that you're not the one who is living with her. Mint?" Ingrid offered as she grabbed a leather canteen from her basket.

Hiccup reluctantly accepts it. Ingrid laughs at his reluctance. "Don't worry. This drink doesn't give that hard of a punch. It's mint tea, it can help wash away the taste of Astrid's drink."

Hiccup takes a little sip before taking a large gulp. "Thanks." He returns the canteen.

"You're very welcome. Well, I have to go and give this to Gothi." Ingrid said, gesturing to the basket. "See you around Hiccup!" The two exchange smiles before the blonde left the forge.

Hiccup turns to the new tail fin and sighs. He picks it up and walks out of the forge.

At the Haddock household, there's a Night Fury perched on the roof

At the Haddock household, there's a Night Fury perched on the roof. Again. Toothless jumps up and down, dislodging shingles. Hiccup walks towards the side of the house, holding the new tail fin.

"Toothless! Come on down, bud, I've got something for you." Hiccup calls to his dragon. Toothless leaps down and approaches. He sniffs at the new tail fin, curious.

"What do you think of that? Yeah!" Toothless, interested more in what Hiccup's holding than what he's saying, follows the fin as Hiccup tries to line it up with his tail.

"Would you just settle down? Toothless, come on bud, let me get this on you." Toothless finally stops moving, Hiccup latches the new tail fin on Toothless.

"Yeah, you are going to love this. Okay?" Toothless roars, swinging his tail around wildly.

"No, no! Toothless, stop. Please, wait. Toothless, please!" Hiccup pleads as a loud snap was heard.

The tail unfurls by itself. Toothless freezes, wide-eyed. He tests the new tail, gears whirring as he sweeps his wings in and out.

"There you go. See? Got it?" Hiccup said. Toothless stares deeply into Hiccup's eyes, a kind of animal communication both familiar and feral. Hiccup stares back.

"Toothless..." Hiccup said, confused and worried about the dragon's behavior. 

"Whoa!" Toothless suddenly turns, pushes off the ground and into the sky with a loud roar. Hiccup watches as he files away and disappears into the clouds.