Thirty Four: Home Sweet Rome

Jim's Pov

"You cannot be serious." Amelia said. Her voice sounded electronic through the black and gold square device sitting on Jim's desk. "Are you alright?"
If not for the fact that Amelia could only hear his voice rather than see his face, she would have known that he was lying. "I'm fine; the crew will be fine; Briar however..." His voice broke off. He was not fine.
"Stickler took her, didn't he? That's why you have called upon me."
"Yes," Jim said slowly. "I need your help going after Stickler. He needs to be stopped once and for all."
There was a slight pause on Amelia's end. "I completely agree." She finally said. "But where do you get this idea that he is headed to Earth? How does he even know how to get there?"
"Silver," Jim lied.
Amelia sounded more than surprised. "Silver? Since when did he show up?"
"Two days ago," Jim answered. "Now, will you help me or not?"
There was another pause. "As much as I would like to, I have my students with me; as do we all." Jim knew what was coming next. "You have Maria and Lucard with you. You cannot put them in danger like that."
"If I wait any longer we may lose Briar altogether."
"You mean YOU will lose Briar?" Jim was silent. Amelia sighed. "You heard me, Jim Hawkins. Admit it, you love her."
Jim rubbed his tired eyes. "That's beside the point, Amelia. If Stickler or any other pirate took one of your crew mates you would try everything to save them."
Amelia's soft laugh came out from the speakers. "You know me too well, Jim."
"Amelia," Jim was getting impatient. "I need an answer. Will you help me?"
"What have the others said? Have you spoken with them?" She dodged his question.
"I have. Kate said no; she wouldn't put her students through that."
"As I thought," Said Amelia. "But fret not. I will get a hold of Admiral Blake. I will explain the situation to him...unless you have already spoken with him?"
"No, I haven't. He was next on my list."
Another pause. "To answer your question, Jim: no, I cannot help you. I cannot deliberately put my students in harm's way, and I cannot leave them to follow after you. If Maria and Lucard want to help, then let them. They signed up for this knowing full well the responsibilities. But I will contact the Admiral. I will see to it that he sends help. You said it was in the Dead Zone, correct? I will let him know. Now, go and save your sweetheart."
"She's not..." Jim's voice broke again.
Amelia scoffed. "Don't be daft, boy."
"Amelia..." Jim could almost feel her staring him down through the speakers.
"I have a question for you now." Jim was quiet as he waited for her to speak again. "Let's say you are successful on rescuing Briar; what will you do then? Tell her how you feel? You know that is against the rules."
"Thank you, Amelia," Jim said not very enthusiastically, "for you encouraging words." He sighed.
Amelia said nothing in response to what he said. "Be careful, Mr. Hawkins." A single beep came from the speaker indicating that the connection had been shut off and the conversation ended.

Jim sat there for a minute or two to gather his thoughts before heading out on deck. He was only a day away now from the dead zone. In the meantime his crew was almost at full strength again. He knew what he was doing was dangerous, but this line of work was always dangerous.
If Briar was not saved then all would be lost. Lucard would cease to exist; Stickler would gain an unknown power if he got his hands on the stone. It would create absolute catastrophe. But Briar...Briar would be gone forever; the last perfect human...gone; his "sweetheart" gone.

Briar's Pov

I was dreaming. I knew I was for sure because my dad was standing right beside me. We were at the Basilica in Florence. While everyone stood around taking pictures, we stood there in quiet awe as we gazed up at the ceiling above the altar. I remember the painting of good and evil; the angels and the devils; heaven and hell.
"Have you had enough?" My dad asked me.
I answered him without taking my gaze away from the painted ceiling. "Never enough," I told him. "It will never be enough."
I could sense he was smiling at me. "Yes, that's why people take pictures so that they can preserve it's memory. But they are losing something precious when they do that."
I finally looked away and at my dad instead. "What is that?"
"To see something with your own two eyes and truly observe it is a better experience than just simply taking a picture to look at afterwards. It is important that we take in the graces it has to offer us at this very moment. If gives a person a certain...knowledge of things."
I nodded. "Yes, I understand."
"Briar...do not forget."
I stood there looking at him. "Dad, I miss you. And mom, too."
He smiled at me. "But, Briar, I'm right here. And your mother is right there." He poked me softly above my heart.
Strange; I couldn't feel his touch at all. I guess he wasn't really there after all.