Thirty One: The Plan

A slug man reared his arm back and then leaned forward with all his might as he punched Silver in the face. For being a slug he sure packed a heavy punch! Silver spat out blood and felt a tooth getting loose. He had been getting beat for the last hour-torture was more like it. His face was blue, black and purple, but underneath all that abuse he managed to crack a grin just before collapsing to the wooden floor. His hands and feet were bound so there was no point in getting up; he had little strength left.
A dark figure stood in the corner of the room watching for the entirety of that hour, and finally he stepped forward. It was Stickler and he was smirking, one sharp tooth poking out from the side. "Have ye had enough, John Silver?"
The grin remained on Silver's face as Stickler looked down on him. He winced in pain as Stickler placed one heavy boot on his head. With gritted teeth he fought back a nasty insult. It would only get him into more trouble, and the pain was exceeding enough.
"Pray tell what possessed ye to crawl aboard my ship? Ya got guts." Stickler let off Silver's head and shoved his hands deep into the pockets of his coat. "Well?"
The slug man came forward, ready to give Silver another blow. "Answer the Captain, maggot!"
Silver spat out more blood before answering. A small puddle blood was forming into one much bigger as blood continued to drip from his mouth. His face was so swollen he could hardly talk but somehow he managed. "I already told you: to find Jim Hawkins. I don't have a ship or a crew of my own to do it myself. Those days are long gone."
For a second it looked as though Stickler almost pitied the poor bear man. "Is that so? Why is that young human captain so important to ye, Silver?" As he said the word human he made it sound as though he had just tasted something awful. "That race is weak. Why have anythin' to do with 'em?"
Silver wheezed a laugh. "Aye, weak perhaps, but not so dumb."
Stickler was beginning to take him more seriously and then asked: "What's ya game, Silver? I wanna know. And ya better be truthful..." He tapped the back of one of his boots and a small, sharp knife stuck out.
"There's a large sum of gold on that ship of his." Silver lied and he prayed Stickler didn't see through him.
"Ya have other motifs, I know." Stickler said.
Silver nodded. "Aye, I do, but hear me will ya?" When Stickler did and said nothing Silver took that as his chance to come up with another lie. "I know ya been followin' a young human girl for the last couple of months. Well, she's on that ship."
Stickler's eyes widened with delight. "Oh?"
Silver nodded. "Yes, and I know the places they be visiting. They have a bunch young ones on that ship-inexperienced fighters."
"Students from the academy,"
Again Silver nodded. His plan was working! "Aye, yes! And if you let me go I can lead you to them."
The dreadful joy in Stickler's eyes vanished as he heard Silver say this. "Nah, ya can stay put in the cell and give me directions everyday. Do that and I'll let ya live." Stickler didn't give Silver a chance to say anything before he ordered his slug man to take him to the cell.

Silver was given nothing to eat or drink once he was thrown into the cell. It was cold and damp with only a bucket to relieve himself.
He sat hunched over in a corner grumbling. There was no reason for him to start feeling sorry for himself. He had done this on purpose. Silver wanted to be caught but he couldn't make it that obvious. His tooth wiggled back forth as he touched it with his tongue. There was no point in keeping what was already broken so he pulled it the rest of the way out. Silver winced in pain as he spat out blood and dropped his tooth and let it roll away.
Little bird...Jimbo...I'll be there soon, he thought. Stickler will find you two with or with my help...and you's gonna need me there when that time comes.
That's why Silver had put himself in this situation. Stickler had a way of finding anything and anyone, and he knew exactly what that damn, good-for-nothing pirate wanted: to take Briar and use her to get to earth, and he would kill Jim and anyone else who'd stand in his way. He wanted the treasure that was left behind there and he would stop at nothing to obtain it.

Briar's POV

Another day had passed and Zee had just finished giving me a back massage with hot stones and wax. By that time it was midday and supper would be done in a few hours. I had enjoyed my time resting in Jim's bed. It was beyond comfortable and I envied him so much. Some pillows were light and soft while others were packed full of feathers. The dark blue blanket and sheets reminded me of Egyptian cotton, only softer. How was I supposed to return to my lofty bed now? After sleeping in this one anything that wasn't this was going to feel like torture.
"You're back was heavy strained during the storm. The same goes for the rest of your body. I can tell that you used every last bit of your strength to hold on." Zee rounded up all her massaging equipment.
"I guess I over did it, huh." I put my shirt back and stayed laying on my stomach. I didn't want to risk flipping over and pulling a muscle.
"Once you feel stronger the captain has asked us all to keep a close eye on you for a few days after, just to see if you have properly healed." She walked to the door.
"Thank you, Zee."
Zee nodded and gave me a small smile. It was something she did little of, not because she was always in a bad mood but because she was usually always serious. "You're welcome, Briar." And she left the room.