Thirteen: The Academy

The day had finally come for me to join the academy. I was officially a part of the school and one of its students.
It was almost six in the morning when I awoke. There was no sense in trying to sleep more; I barely got to sleep last night because I was so excited (and nervous) about today. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and combed my hair before pulling it back with a hair tie; my uniform was neatly pressed. I wore a white long sleeved collared shirt under a heavy dark blue jacket with gold at the rims and gold buttons. My pants were black and clung comfortably to my legs, and my knee high black boots were a perfect fit.
After ogling over myself in the mirror for a few minutes I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. It was time to go; it would take Sarah and I an hour to reach the academy so we had to leave soon.
A knock sounded on my door. "Briar, Mrs. Hawkins has breakfast ready for you." It was Ben.
"Okay. I'll be right there." I told him and took one last look at myself, making sure everything was in place. I turned my heel and grabbed my suitcase. It was light; I didn't have much to bring with me because I didn't have much to begin with. All I cared about were my belongings I had with me while on the plane. My old alchemy book sat snugly in between everything. Silver told me to keep it safe, and that's exactly what I was going to do. Bringing it with me to always be in possession was my best option.
I might have told Jim and the others the truth about myself, but I didn't tell them everything. My little alchemy book would be my secret...at least for a little while longer.

I headed downstairs with my suitcase and sat down at the table where Jim and I once shared a quiet conversation. Sarah placed a plate full of sausage and eggs and toast down in front of me and a tall glass of cold milk.
"Eat up." She said. "You need your strength today." She joined me at the table with her own plate of food.
Ben was busy getting things ready to open the inn for breakfast.
"Will he be okay, serving breakfast on his own, I mean?" I asked Sarah.
She nodded. "Yes, he'll be fine. He's done this for me in the past. I trust he will do just fine." She took a bite of her eggs. A thoughtful expression played across her face.
I couldn't help but ask, "What are you thinking about?"
"Oh...Jim. I remember when he first joined the academy. He was sixteen. And now he's a great captain." Here eyes became watery, but no tears ever dropped.
"I can tell he's a great captain." I said.
Sarah cleared her throat. "You said before that Jim rescued you. I knew he found you, but I have yet to hear the full story."
I took a drink of my milk before answering her. "I was on a ship with pirates, but they weren't all that bad, really. And then we were attacked by Stickler." I paused for a moment. "A friend of mine, Silver, he saved me, helped me escape. I fled the ship on a life boat and just when I was about ready to give up Jim found me. He saved me, too."
"Ah, yes. Jim has spoken of Silver a few times, but only ever in passing. I feel he really looked up to him...like a father, you know?"
I nodded.
"By the way, Briar, if you don't mind me asking...did you have parents before coming here?"
This caught me off guard. Sarah had never asked me such a personal question before. "I did." I told her honestly. "But my mother passed away from cancer when I was very young. My dad raised me; taught me everything I know; supported me."
"He sounds like a wonderful father."
I nodded again, my chest getting tight. "He was...or is...I don't know if he's still around."
For a while Sarah said nothing in response. And then, "I wish Jim could have had a good father growing up." She said this more to herself than to me.
I looked up at her from my half eaten plate. "What happened to him?"
Sarah shrugged. "I don't know. He just up and left one day. That was many years ago. Jim was only eight."
I set my fork down. "I'm sorry."
Sarah shook her head. "Don't be. Besides, I doubt Jim would ever tell you this, or how he truly feels about the situation. At least not any time soon."
"So why did you tell me?"
She thought for a moment before saying, "I think its important that you know this, just don't say anything to Jim about this. Also, I tell you this so you don't accidentally ask him a touchy question on the subject. He may not look it, but my Jim is soft hearted."
I smiled, understanding. "I get it." I told her. "You can trust me."