One: The Storm

Cover photo was drawn by a friend of mine. It is a scene from later on in the story.

Prologue:
Alchemy. It's something easier for me to understand rather than religion. There are so many rules when it comes to religion that it just makes my head spin or until I get annoyed with it. With alchemy, yes, there are rules too, but they are straight to the point, if you are clever enough for it that is.
With taking up the art of alchemy, I have taken a liking to Latin. Needless to say, I can hardly speak a word of it, but it does help when it comes to alchemy. Some say it is a crazy obsession, others think it is a childish phase. Immortality is no childish phase and nor is it an obsession...well, to others it might be, but I would never think to go that far. It is simply a hobby of mine. When I find the time, I study it. I will spend all weekend just reading and writing down notes. Alchemy makes the world more...interesting. Alchemy is science, it is magic and magic is something this world sorely lacks. You know what else it lacks: Adventure.

This is my story about going on an adventure and it is one I will never forget. How could I? I became part of a crew, sailing on a grand ship, I fought pirates, and I even fell in love. I'm no ordinary person and this is no ordinary story. If you are looking for ordinary then go someplace else. This is a story about going to different worlds. You can't imagine the creatures and other people I have encountered...okay, maybe you can, but I have to tell you in my own words and how it all started and how it all ended. I hope that at the end you won't be mad at me, or perhaps you would have made the same choice? Either way, I don't regret my choice. My name is Briar Edwards, and I am lucky to be alive.

Present day:
It was half pass nine at night and I was about ready to get on my last flight home to America. I would land in the in Washington D.C. with my dad and then I would sleep in the back seat till I got home, missing Italy in my dreams. I had been studying abroad for a year there and now it was time to go home. My little adventure was ending, or so I thought. Time was just waiting for me, I guess, to take me on an even bigger adventure. But how it came about was frightening. I truly thought I was going to die. On the brink of death and not being the religious type I was back then.
I was boarding my flight in London as the moon was just starting to shine brightly. It was beautiful, being above the clouds and listening to the plane purr softly. I could no longer see Big Ben and it made me a little sad, not knowing that that would be the last time I'd set my eyes on Europe ever again.
There was a slight rumble as I sat in my seat, my eyes closed, trying to rest before a long ride home. Thunder was heard below me. Was there supposed to be a storm tonight? No way. They would have delayed my flight if that were the case. Maybe it's just a slight storm and it won't mess with the plane. Wishful thinking, I know. That was not the case though. It all happened so quickly and I was saying "Oh God!" in my head faster than the constant thunder being heard. I heard the pilot's voice over the intercom, but I can't recall what he said. I was too worried and when the masks came down that was when I really started to panic. Sure, I was used to flying, I did it many times and I thought for sure that this would be my end: to go down into the ocean I sailed over so many times in my life.

A huge crack was heard and it was so loud I thought I would go deaf from it. Instead, I saw the plane be torn in half and I wished then that I was blind. At least I would die not having to see the horror of those being whipped out and screaming. I realized then that I was crying and it wasn't just the rain getting inside the plane now. I was falling from the sky, my body strapped tight into my seat and my mask still on. As the plane turned to face the ocean I came face-to-face with my doom. But fate had other plans for me...other adventures. I shielded my eyes from a bright light and held my breath.
~

My eyes flickered open, my head hurt and my body was sore and cold. I heard the soft sound of what seemed to be birds flying in the trees. I tried to open my eyes again and the first thing I saw was the ground at least fifteen feet down. This should not have bothered me, but seeing how I was only strapped into a seat that only partly connected to what was left of the plane, it really freaked me out. My mask was gone and I no idea where it went to and no doubt all of my belongings were gone too. I was stuck in a white dress that went down to my knees and a light blue buttoned up sweater, black leggings and black boots that went to my calf's. Don't ask why. I'm into a weird style and my style was finally paying itself off. Who wants to walk through the woods or an open field with sandals or slip ons?