Twenty One: Vitam Aeternam

My time off from the academy was over way too soon. I did, however, manage to catch up on sleep and get some studying done. On the other hand, my book was still no where to be seen.
As I sulked my way downstairs, suitcase in hand, I saw Jim standing as the bottom.
"Are you ready?"
I gave him a confused look. "What?"
"I'm taking you back to the academy. Don't you remember talking about it last night?" He said it as a matter of fact.
I thought for a second as I retraced my steps from the night before...

I was just finishing up with my bath when I heard a knock on the door. "Yes?"

"Oh! I was just wondering if you were still in there." It was Sarah, and she was waiting patiently for me to get out, so I hurried up.
"The bathroom is all yours. Sorry I took so long." I told her.
Sarah smiled kindly at me. "No worries, Briar." And she stepped inside.
I finished drying off the rest of my hair and put the wet towel in the hamper. I felt so clean and my new pajamas were super soft. I had asked for a pair of pajamas with pants; my nightgown kept twisting around me during the night. I was so happy to have them.
At that time I wasn't yet tired and walked into the small living room. I didn't feel like being alone in that room. Luckily Jim was there. About a dozen candles were lit and the window was open a crack to let in the cool night air. The fireplace was out, too warm for that anyway. Jim was sitting on the sofa reading a book. He hadn't noticed me walking in.
I took a sat cross-legged on a chair sitting diagonal from him and stared at my hands. I would have loved to read my book, but it was gone and I didn't feel like reading anything else. Finally, a heaved a heavy sigh, not meaning for it to sound so dramatic.
"What's wrong?" Jim looked up from his book.
I shouldn't have been taken off guard by his question, but I didn't think he would say anything. "Nothing. I'm just thinking about my book."
Jim closed his and set it on the nightstand. "Why are you sitting all the way over there? Are you scared of me, or something?" He grinned.
I rolled my eyes and smiled. "I didn't want to bother you." Plus I was too shy to sit next to him.
This time Jim was slow to ask, "Is there anything else bothering you?"
I opened my mouth to answer him. I was going to say no, and then I remembered Silver. I hadn't told him yet. I didn't tell him at that moment, I never would. "I saw Silver." I said.
Jim sat up straight, almost ready to jump for joy, but his face remained serious. "What? You did? When? How? And where?"
I twiddled with my thumbs. "Two days ago in town when I was shopping with Delbert and the kids. I wanted to tell you sooner, trust me. I just wasn't sure how to."
Jim leaned off the side of the sofa, resting his elbows on the armrest. "What did he say? Did he look okay? Tell me!"
I had never seen this side of Jim before. He looked so eager, so hopeful. "He told me that Stickler has been around watching me. They all have; he has too. And he looked okay, from what I could see. I didn't have a lot of time to speak with him."
Jim cursed under his breath. "So that nasty pirate, Stickler, has been around. I knew it! Where the hell has be been hiding?" He said that last part to himself. He then said to me, "Silver said that Stickler was watching you?"
I nodded. "I think he still is...he and his pirate buddies."
Jim relaxed some and he sighed. "Looks like you'll be driving to the academy with me tomorrow."
I nearly blushed. "What?"
"I don't want you being alone anymore. You need a roommate, too." He told me this as he stood up. "Is that okay with you?"
I fought with myself to try and find something to say. "I...I guess so?"
Jim smiled. "Good. Then its decided."

I came back to my senses and Jim was still waiting on me. "Oh...yes, I remember. Shall we get going?"
"Just wait one second, you two." Sarah quickly walked toward us and handed us each a giant blueberry muffin. "Have some breakfast on the go."
I took the muffin, sniffing it before taking a bite. "Mmm. That's really good. Thanks, Sarah."
She smiled at us both. "All right. I'll see you two in a few months."
My heart sunk a little. A few months? It must have been so hard on Sarah, being away from her son for long. Even if he managed to swing by for a visit...I could only imagine.
As we headed out, Jim and I both finishing up our muffin, I wondered where on earth I would set my suitcase. "Uh..."
Jim wiped the crumbs from his mouth before saying, "No worries." And he took my suitcase. He set it down a few feet away from the two of us. He then lifted the seat of his motorcycle and pulled out an oval shaped device with a few buttons on it. He pressed one, pointing it toward my suitcase, and a bluish-white light scanned my belongings. We waited a few seconds before my suitcase started to change in size and shrink, resulting to nothing but a cube. "There," said Jim. "Now it will fit." And he plopped it in the same place where he got the oval device.
I pointed my finger. "Witchcraft!"
Jim laughed. "Never seen anything like that before, huh?"
I shook my head. "NO!"
He laughed again. "Come one. We need to get going." He got on his bike and started it up.
I was about to get on when he moved a few inches, making me stop. When I tried again he moved a few more inches. He did this a third time before I finally playfully smacked his arm. "Will you stop it!" I wasn't made though.
Jim grinned. "Okay, I'll stop. And hey, you're not supposed to hit your teachers."
I grinned back. "We're not at the academy yet. And as far as I'm concerned, until the bell rings, We're still on break, and you're not teaching."
"Touche." Said Jim, and we were on our way.