[Christmas morning]

[Merry Christmas! Regardless of wether you celebrate it or not, I've decided to write this out as a present to all of you. Enjoy♥️]

You wake up to colors bombarding your eyesight even behind closed lids, each and every one blinking for just a second before the next one follows. There's shuffling and rustling going on in your apartment, and you can smell coffee. Your back aches a bit, and you realize that, to your distaste, you're sleeping on the couch. And the space behind you is strangely empty.

You groan and bite your lip, blinking away the fatigue in your eyes.

Your entire living room is bathed in a storm of ever-changing harlequin lights, coming from a spot right beside your tv.

Oh god, you think, a Christmas tree. A mostly naked Christmas tree that's only decorated with blinking LED lights, and Gavin sitting on the floor beside it, cross legged, working on untangling the next decoration. But still. A Christmas tree that most definitely wasn't there when you fell asleep on the couch yesterday.

Gavin looks in your direction when the sofa creaks, and his concentrated expression shifts into a soft one, lopsided smile on his face.

"Mornin'." Gavin greets, and you can't help but notice how disheveled he looks. His hair is a mess, just like yours, and he's still in last night's clothes. Yet there's a softness to his features: in spite of his grogginess, he looks well-rested. There's two cups of coffee beside him, set on the floor.

"Good morning." You greet back, and lift yourself off the couch, walking over to him. "You got—"

"A Christmas tree. You said you wanted one, but you were still asleep and today's the twenty-fourth, so I figured..." Gavin smiles in the most genuine way you've seen in a while—you can almost call it childish. There's a certain pure excitement and bliss in his eyes. He doesn't bother getting up from the floor, instead pats it invitingly. "I also made us coffee."

You settle down beside him, looking at the tangled wires in his lap, and then at the cup he hands you. You take it, and realize that the liquid has gone a bit cold, but you don't complain. "Thanks, Gav."

Instead, you turn to look at the Christmas tree, shadows and lights bouncing off your features the moment a smile spreads on your lips. It's positively beautiful. Even all empty and natural like that, its leaves give off the fresh, familiar scent that only lacks a hint of cookies for it to really smell like Christmas.

"Do you like it?" He asks hopefully, and you take a sip of the lukewarm coffee before answering with a smile.

"Yes." You're practically beaming, and Gavin is sure he's never seen something quite this heartwarming. Homely. Pretty. "I love it, Gav."

He bites his lower lip to refrain from grinning in utter, peaceful joy. This is what heaven must feel like. A quiet winter morning with the one you love. You crawl closer to him, cuddling up against his side. He reaches for your hand and takes it in his, then rests them on his thigh before intertwining your fingers. Nestled up against each-other, the both of you switch to staring at the Christmas tree in silence. Which reminds you.

"You said you didn't like Christmas, though." You speak up, and feel his shoulder bump against the side of your temple when he shrugs.

"Yeah, but you do."

You raise your brows in disbelief. "So is this all for me, or-"

"It is." Gavin sighs, though you can't tell wether it's because of something negative or positive. "Though I didn't manage to get it done before you woke up." He nods at the still tangled decorations in his lap.