01 | A Wrinkle In Time

-- MALFOY MANOR 
    SECOND WIZARDING WAR

 "Stop!" yelled Bellatrix, pressing her blade to Hermione's neck. "Drop your wands! I said drop 'em!"

Harry and Ron both dropped their wands, watching beads of blood seep down Hermione's neck with panic. They could see her sleeve already bloodied from where Bellatrix had carved Mudblood into her flesh. 

"Call him," Bellatrix said manically to Lucius

Lucius Malfoy raised his arm to his mark, his earlier defeated expression quickly morphing into a sinister smile. But then all hell broke loose. Thechandelier came careening down upon Bellatrix's spot, sending Hermione flyingtowards Ron. Spells began speeding left and right as everyone scrambled to regaincontrol.

Just as Dobby appeared at Harry's side to apparate them out, a stray green curse hit him squarely on the chest as shock overtook his wide eyes, and his ears drooped. 

"Dobby! NOOO!" Harry cried with anguish. 

Hermione could barely register the staggering loss. Not only had they just lost one of their dearest friends, but they also lost their only way out of this nightmare. Under the onslaught of curses, Ron quickly grabbed Harry's arm, pulling them around the corner to take cover. He quickly pushed wands into Harry and Hermione's hands, even though Hermione was still too weak to fully function.     

"Snatched them off of Malfoy," he muttered. 

"Ready?" Harry asked, sharing a look with Ron. 

As Hermione tried to pull herself up, gritting her teeth against the aftershocks of the cruciatus, both boys gently helped her sit up. They connected hands with Hermione as Harry turned sharply on the spot. Disbelieving shock spread across his face as he realized he couldn't apparate them out of the Manor. 

"The wards," Hermione managed to get out hoarsely. "They won't let us disapparate on these grounds." 

The flash of curses flew closer as a reductor spell hit wall across from them, shattering stone over the trio. 

"Stay here," Ron instructed Hermione as he and Harry returned to the room to face their attackers, wands at the ready. 

Hermione weakly watched bright flashes collide with Ron and Harry's shields, struggling to make her body move. Somehow summoning a pepper up potion from her bag, she uncorked it with shaky fingers before downing it. She could feel her limbs tingle as the magic rushed through her blood, bringing strength back to her exhausted body. She forced herself to stand, ready to defend her friends. 

But as she stepped forward out of the safety of the corner, a blinding flash of white hit Ron squarely on the chest and he staggered back from the impact, looking down in shock as a bright crimson started staining his shirt. 

"RON!" she cried hoarsely as she ran forward, catching him as he lost his balance but falling under his added weight.

"PROTEGO!" Harry yelled, encompassing them with a shield so strong, it caused Lucius, Narcissa, and Bellatrix to all fall backwards. Harry took his chance to help Hermione drag Ron back to the corner.