Episode Seven

"What the hell is going on?" Thomas threw his cell phone at the dashboard

"What the hell is going on?" Thomas threw his cell phone at the dashboard. It bounced off the windshield, cracking the phone's screen. "I keep getting some damn recording."

"Dude, I told you the phones are out." Derek shifted on the bench seat pushing his thigh against mine.

Thomas's jaw hardened, but he didn't speak as he stared at the road. I was feeling the same way. What was there to say?

We'd tried the radio again and still failed to get a signal, which was really beginning to scare me. My eyes kept wandering back to the unending stream of numbers as the radio cycled continuously.

Thankfully, we decided to leave Derek's motorcycle behind for our little escapade. When I saw Thomas pull around his beefed out Ford truck, my jaw dropped. The thing was frigging huge with gigantic tires. And when I say gigantic, I mean it. A three foot lift is ridiculous when you're trying to get into any vehicle, and I'm a basketball player who has to make jump shots. Well, I'm only five foot six, but still.

What the hell was Thomas thinking when he made his truck so tall? Oh, wait. He wanted to grab every female ass that tried to get in. Go figure.

Or maybe he was a monster truck fanboy, but I couldn't imagine Thomas using this thing to crush a line of vehicles. He apparently had a relationship with it because when the phone bounced off the windshield, he didn't give one crap about checking the phone before he rubbed his fingers over the glass windshield to check for cracks.

So yeah, here I was, riding with two strange men in a metallic green monster truck, headed toward a warehouse to steal drugs on a school night. Wow. My life couldn't get any better.

And lucky me was squished in between them. I mean, they didn't even ask where I would be most comfortable. That's how guys are though. They always assume the window seat is automatically theirs.

Even after his outburst, Thomas rested his wrist over the steering wheel like we were going on a nice evening drive. How could he look so relaxed at a time like this?

My legs were bouncing like crazy. They did the same thing when I was on the court, waiting for Coach to put me back in the game. I needed my basketball and needed to run drills or something.

Damn. I was antsy as hell.

The fact that Thomas had a gun tucked in his jeans worried me. What if they had to use it? What if one of them ended up shot? God. What the hell were we doing? Our families needed help, but there had to be another way. A better way.

Derek moved his hand over my knee to calm the bouncing, but I pulled my leg away from him, balling up further into my middle seat, damn near hugging the stick shift.

Thomas glanced at me. "You're not gonna pee your pants are you?"

What did he just ask me? Fury pulsed through my veins. "No! I'm just freaking out because I'm worried. No one has discussed how this will go down, and we need a plan. Plans help keep me calm."