Chapter 32: A big cat

"I can't.. Even. It's amazing!" I breathe, flopping down on the couch next to James and Peter on the the comfy couches in the Gryffindor common room. "Trust me, we know!" James grins, breathless from running. "Actually it was pretty easy." Sirius shrugs, ever the cocky one if their little Marauding group. "So you're an animagus now!" Peter says, loudly and happily. "Shush Peter! I don't want anyone but you four to know." We had finally managed to turn me into an animagus. It had taken the course of the last week, but earlier today I had finally done it. My animagus was a big cat, slightly smaller than Sirius in his dog form. I had bigger than than a usual cat, and was bordering on a mountain lion. We had spent the rest of the day running around the forbidden forest in our animagus forms. "So." Remus says, snapping me out of my daydream. "You can walk with us to the whomping willow, and meet us on the way back." I nod happily, smiling. Finally, I can be of some help to Remus. "I can drag a bag of chocolate with me." I tell Remus.

**************

Being unable to sleep, I creep downstairs to the common room by myself. I smile at Lily's red hair, spread around her pillow and framing her pretty face. Resisting the urge to tickle her, I walk downstairs. The fire is dying, casting eerie glows and shadows around the room. "Who's there?" A voice hisses and I jump back. "Sirius, it's me, damn you." I whisper at him in the dark. A light from his wand shines through the room and onto my face, and I look up to see his smirking face. "Actually, you didn't scare me." I say, clearing my throat. "Why are here?" He asks me with narrowed eyes. "I was going outside to go for a run. I wanted to concentrate on being my animagus." I tell him. "You?" He shrugs casually, as if being alone in the common room at one in the morning is normal. For him though, I suppose it is. "Okay, well I'll see you later." I say, leaving. "Wait, River! I'm coming." "Are you now?" "Yes." He says, walking ahead of me.
I take a deep breath and feel myself change into my animagus form. The cold night air whips around me and I delight in the feeling of my skinny, sly cat body. Sirius stands beside me, and we run through the forest together. The trees fly past, the black dog tearing up the ground as he runs beside me with his tongue lolling. Panting, I change back to myself, feeling my jeans splattered with mud. Sirius catches his breath beside me, looking up and grinning. His body shakes gently, his hand on his chest. "That was brilliant!" I laugh. He nods happily, stepping closer. "So you're happy with it then?" He says quietly. "How could I not be? It's amazing!" I say softly. He nods, stepping closer and smirking. I stare at his dark blue grey eyes, alive with happiness from running. Sirius stares back at me, then closes the gap between us, pressing his lips on mine gently but firmly. I try not to melt, but I do. I can't feel anything but Sirius. And that's why I pull away. "I'm sorry Sirius, I can't deal with this." I say, tears springing up in my eyes as I run away, jumping into my cat form.