Chapter 2: Sugar Spice and Sirius.

Sirius and me walk down the train, in a slightly awkward silence. Granted, it's a bit odd that I'm so trusting of someone I just met, but how else am I supposed to make friends? "So" I ask him, "Where do we get the sweets?" "Oh.." He says, trailing off. "You don't actually, I just needed to stretch my legs, and none of them would come with me." He smirks, looking at me. I laugh quietly, raising my eyebrows. "Well, we should get back, Remus is probably off his head with worry." I tell him, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, he is a bit of a worrier." Sirius agrees, then stops, looking up, almost as if he's sniffing the air. He goes silent as a black haired Slytherin boy walks by, glaring at him. Sirius glares back, and at the last minute, sticks his foot out. The boy trips slightly, and then composes himself, narrowing his (almost black) eyes at Sirius. "Alright, Snivellus?" Sirius asks, smirking over his shoulder as we walk away. The boy "Snivellus" doesn't answer, but keeps walking, his head down. "Who was he?" I ask Sirius, frowning. "Oh no one really." he tells me, opening the door to the carriage for me. I step inside and he follows me, smirking. "No one who?" James asks, looking up. "Snivellus, I bet." Remus says, glancing up from his book. "Got it in one, Moony! This is why your the clever one. Not that James could ever be the clever one because-" "Oi!" James tells back indignantly. "Okay, ye, but who is he? I ask them. "Slytherin guy that hates us." James tells me, looking out the carriage door. Sirius sits down and I sit beside him, across from Peter and James. I'm by the window, beside Sirius, and after him, Remus. "So wait, most people call you River?" Sirius asks me, staring at me. He has an attractively intense stare. "Yep." I nod, looking away, out the window. "That's cool.." "So." I start, looking around at them. "You guys are all Gryffindor?" "Yes!" James says proudly, obviously happy to be there. "Mh.. I wonder what house I'll be in.." I say thoughtfully. We spend the rest of the train ride to Hogwarts talking and laughing, sharing sweets as we discuss teachers and classes. The train finally pulls into the station, blowing smoke everywhere. Remus, me and the other three wait till the train is empty, then head for the doors. Grabbing my suitcase, I look at our carriage, making sure I have everything. "River?" A voice asks me. I see Sirius, holding his one suitcase and looking at me. "We're heading for the carriages, are you coming?" His voice is quiet. "Yeah, is that alright?.." I ask, my voice trailing off as I become more nervous about the sorting. He smiles at me, nodding, then turns away as James calls him. I follow him, catching up with him and falling into step beside Remus.