Chapter 13: Tryouts

"I can't believe they put off tryouts!" Sirius groans as we sit around the fire about a week later. "Hey! "They" includes me now!" James says indignantly, looking up. "Oh shut it, James." I tell him, shoving him. Remus grins at James' angry expression. "Still, Wood had to, the weather was bad, and his friends parents were killed." I tell them quietly. "Is that really a reason to put off tryouts? Ravenclaw have already their team together!" James whines. "James! Of course it was a good reason to put off tryouts! And besides, Ravenclaw probably always have their team ready by this time." I shrug, opening a chocolate frog and pooping it in my mouth. "Doesn't it bother you?" Sirius asks me. "We did spend ages practising, and you were going to try out for beater!" I shrug again. "I'm still going to! Just not until.. Whenever tryouts are." Just then, Lily walks in. "Hey Lily!" I say, patting the spot beside me. With reluctance on her face, she sits down. Unfortunately for her, James sits opposite her. "Hello, Evans! You look wonderful!" He says, grinning at her. "Smooth, James." I tell him, narrowing my eyes. "Sod off, Potter." Lily hisses before turning to me. "I just wanted to let you know tryouts are tomorrow." She smiles at me. "Oh, great! Thank you Lily! I'm going up to the room, d'you want to come?" I ask, standing up. She nods slightly, smiling at me. "G'night guys." I smile at the boys, walking away. "Goodnight, River." Remus calls after me, smiling. "Night." James and Peter say simultaneously, then grin at each other. "Goodnight gorgeous!" Sirius smirks. "Goodnight, Evans." James calls. "Goodnight Remus, thank you for helping me with my homework today." Lily says without turning around. Flicking her long red hair, she walks away without so much as a glance at James. "Wow, you've got it bad, Prongs, mate." Sirius laughs. "You'll have it bad too if you don't stop flirting with my sister!" Remus growls at him.

****************

The next day, the sky is clear, and the sun is trying to shine warmly over the pitch. I walk down, my arms linked with Peter and Sirius. Peter looked embarrassed by this, but hey, that's not my fault. Sirius and I stand with the rest of the beaters trying out. A tall boy I've never met before, who's trying out for chaser, comes up and stands beside me. "Be careful, Lupin. Don't get crushed, I mean.. You are a girl, we don't need more injuries." "I'm a girl?" I ask, spinning around. "Well yeah." He shrugs. "Okay, I'm resisting the strong urge to punch you, so please go away." I snap at him, my eyes cold and dark. He looks at me strangely before walking slowly away. "Okay!" Wood, the captain organises. "Beaters up first, everyone else follow afterwards." He nods towards Sirius, me and the other beaters, and we kick off, into to the air.

*************

"Right!" Wood says, clapping his hands together and rubbing some heat into them. Finally! I think to myself, lowering myself down after hours of hitting bludgers. Sirius and I land beside each other, grinning. "You were brilliant!" He tells me, steadying his broom. "Thanks!" I smile broadly. "You were too, you played really well!" Sirius runs a hand through his wind blown hair, making it worse. A James habit. "Considering it's Halloween I'm a couple days, I'll let you know then who's in and who's not.. That okay?" He ask everyone. There's a slight murmur and a general "yeah." People start to turn and leave, and I see James and the boy who talked to me earlier. He comes up and places a hand on my shoulder. "Nice game Lupin. You played well, I seriously hope you make the team." He smiles, before walking away. "Who is he?" I ask Sirius, placing a hand on my shoulder gently. He's just a guy.." Sirius say quietly. I can't help but notice he's looking after the guy with a look of distaste on his handsome face. "Bit of an arrogant tosser, if you ask me." He shrugs. "A bit?" James laughs, coming up beside us. "The guys a complete and utter twat! He's even worse than you, Padfoot." Laughing quietly, I walk up to Peter and Remus. "You played brilliantly!" Remus says, hugging me gently. "It's not a big deal Remus!" I laugh, hugging him back. "C'mon, let's go get some soup from the kitchens." Sirius says. "To celebrate!" Peter laughs. "Wow, soup to celebrate! I'm lucky." James laughs. "How do you even know how to get into the kitchens?" I ask them.