Chapter 17: The First Match

The conditions of the mid November day were perfect for quidditch. I make my way down to the pitch with Lily, with her constant reassurance that I'll be fine. "And if you don't win, it's okay River. No one will blame you." She finishes. "Lils, it's fine! If we don't win, it's fine, but it'd be nice of we did." I shrug. "Ye, and we'd have the satisfaction of beating Slytherin." James says, coming up beside us. Lily rolls her eyes and ignores him. "And it's almost a guaranteed win." James shrugs. "Don't be so sure Potter." Lily says, scorn dripping from her voice. "As much as you hate to admit, Slytherin have a good team." I tell him. Again, James shrugs and grins at Lily. "Well maybe after the match, once we win, you and me could could go out somewhere, Evans?" James asks her, messing up his hair yet again. "What, so you can brag about how amazing you are? No thanks, Potter." James looks slightly crestfallen, before grinning and waving at Sirius, Peter and Remus. "Ready?" Remus asks, greeting Lily. She smiles graciously at him. "Ready." I tell him. "I'll see you later Lily." I tell her. Lily wishes me lick and says goodbye to Remus, going over to Alice and Mary. I walk with James and Sirius from the changing rooms to the pitch.

***********

As the match continues, I hold my bat and try to catch my breath. "Alright, Lupin?" A Slytherin boy calls at me, eyeing me. "Sod off you pig headed prat!" I yell at him, hitting a bludger toward him. He laughs and zooms away, his expensive broom catching the wind easily. "What did he want?" Sirius asks me, flying past and stopping. "Nothing." I tell him as I shake my head. "Watch yourself." He says, raising his bat. Sirius smacks the bludger and it flies away, heading for a Slytherin chaser. "I wish James would hurry up!" I mutter, flying away. "Me too!" He says, still beside me as we hit bludgers every so often. "Potter! Oi! Catch the bloody thing!" Sirius yells, grinning at James. He waves back slightly, looking happiest on his broom. "C'mon River!" Remus calls loudly, standing up and waving. Sirius laughs, dodging a bludger narrowly. "Go go Gryffindor!" James chants, flying past the red and yellow stands. The chant catches on almost immediately, the Gryffindor's standing up and yelling loudly. The Ravenclaws soon join in, most of them preffering Gryffindor to Slytherin. The yellow and black Hufflepuffs chant with us, three quarters of the pitch screaming for Gryffindor. I smile to myself as I raise my bat yet again. The voice commentates in the background, but I barely notice it as bludgers and quaffles fly past, people constantly chasing them. Then, above all the noise, I hear a loud, happy scream. Looking down, I see the one and only James Potter, laughing loudly and brandishing a small golden ball. "James Potter, the Gryffindor seeker, has caught the golden snitch! 150 points and the match go to Gryffindor!" The commentator shouts loudly. I grin broadly, ignoring the hissing and booing of the Slytherins. Jumping off my broom, I join the clapping crowd of Gryffindors and hug James tightly. "Well done! You were absolutely fantastic!" He yells over the noise. "Thanks! So were you!" I smile at him. Sirius jumps on James, screaming with everyone else. "Let's go back to to the tower and celebrate!" He yells, to which everyone screams happily.